Lennon became an acid casualty and a dopehead and ceded creative control of the band to Paul McCartney before the Beatles even broke up. I like John Lennon and I'm not trying to talk shit, but it's very obvious listening to P-Mac and Lennon's solo efforts where the Beatles magic came from. I think John is a natural talent and brilliant lyricist, but as a composer he's not in the same ballpark as McCartney or B Wilson. John AND Paul relied heavily on George Martin during their Beatles days to make good records. Brian was the producer and arranger at the height of The Beach Boys (Pet Sounds), all the good Beatles albums were heavily produced and largely arranged by other people

it's true Brian succumbed to schizophrenia and became a shut in but he was still writing songs and helping with Beach Boys albums during the bed years. keep in mind that the Beach Boys kept going, they didn't break up in 1969. The Beach Boys Love You, which came out in 1977, is loaded with Brian material and is really fuckin good