Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Shrink goes to Hawaii

Load Metric
    That looks like a great time, giving me something to consider now.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shrink View Post
    Hawaii Trip Report

Recently got back from our trip to Hawaii. Man. What a spot. I've heard so many people rave about Hawaii and I didn't quite get it until I actually saw it in the flesh. It is fucking incredible.
    Well, we are still waiting for you to post pix of the flesh fucking, you tease

Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 05-24-2019 at 03:16 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Tourist killed in apparent shark attack in Hawaii

The victim's family said he had gone for a swim. Officials described the waters as calm and clear.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...awaii-n1010346

A California man died Saturday after an apparent shark attack off the shores of Maui, NBC News affiliate KHNL of Honolulu reported.

The reported attack happened Saturday morning 60 yards offshore in Kaanapali, according to the County of Maui Department of Fire and Public Safety.

First responders rescued the 65-year-old and performed CPR, but he was "unresponsive," according to the authorities' report.

The victim's name was not immediately available.

KHNL reported that the beach in the area of the attack was closed until noon Sunday.

The man's family reported that he had gone for a swim before the apparent attack.

Authorities described the seas as calm — surf was estimated to be 1 foot — with clear water.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post
    [B]Tourist killed in apparent shark attack in Hawaii
    Jeeeeeeeesus. Then there was this story the other day:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/25/us/hiker-maui-missing-yoga-instructor-found/index.html

I wonder it's just the availability heuristic because of these recent stories or if Hawaii is actually more dangerous than other tourist destinations.

We went to a random beach in Maui one day (can't remember which one) and we watched two people swimming waaaaaay out into the ocean. Hard to say how far but it was at least 100 yards. I have no idea what they were doing but they were continuing to swim out when we left.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    Great thread.

Did you do a TR for Cuba?
    There was a Cuba thread a while back that I commented on but I don't think I did a full trip report. I've been to Cuba 3 times. Happy to answer any questions if you have any.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shrink View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post
    [B]Tourist killed in apparent shark attack in Hawaii
    Jeeeeeeeesus. Then there was this story the other day:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/25/us/hiker-maui-missing-yoga-instructor-found/index.html

I wonder it's just the availability heuristic because of these recent stories or if Hawaii is actually more dangerous than other tourist destinations.

We went to a random beach in Maui one day (can't remember which one) and we watched two people swimming waaaaaay out into the ocean. Hard to say how far but it was at least 100 yards. I have no idea what they were doing but they were continuing to swim out when we left.
    I can't even tell you how many times I have seen a story about a helicopter going down on Kauai. Seems like every time I go. Glad you made it

I don't think Hawaii is more dangerous per se but people participate in activities they might otherwise forego. Like I mentioned before my wife was almost swept out to sea because she was snorkeling in a relatively calm bay, but wasn't paying attention. We are experienced swimmers/beach goers/snorkelers.

She followed a school of fish and the tide was on it's way out - didn't check the tide or know the currents at the beach. She was going out pretty far and not aware of he surroundings because she was busy watching fish. By the time she looked up, she was a couple hundred yards from shore with the current working against her. Luckily she's a strong swimmer and had kick fins on, but that could have easily taken a turn for the worst.

Those activities happen all day every day thousands of times a day in Hawaii. Shit will go wrong eventually.

I also think that Hawaiians take a certain amount of pride in their tourist death counts. The Queens Bath is one example. The lifeguards often announce the number of deaths and catastrophic spinal injuries that occur at Sandy Beach. It's a badge of honor I think.

Load Metric
    Parasite in paradise: Rat lungworm disease confirmed in three Hawaii visitors
    https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/05/27/hea...rnd/index.html

Name:  5835DBF0-2498-451A-884F-2471E1EA6E9B.jpeg
Views: 129
Size:  29.0 KB
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Well there are a lot of Chinese here

Load Metric
    And tons of Japanese. The number one food in Hawaii is spam. If you move there, your life expectancy could drop by 20 years or more.

Thread Information