Thread: Unable to install win8 via usb installer, pesky "/boot/BCD" error, help?

Load Metric

Unable to install win8 via usb installer, pesky "/boot/BCD" error, help?

Running vista, trying to get windows 8 installed. I downloaded a usb installation tool for windows 7 from microsoft (assuredly it will work, so i am told) and the usb installation tool assured me windows 8 is locked and loaded on this usb.

Just plug it in, re-order the bios, golden.

This is not what happened (it is windows afterall, but still, I expect SOME shit to work the first time around) and for two days now I have tried a number of supposed fixes and solutions to get this stupid shit WORKING.

I asked a guy online who's pretty knowledgable his opinion, and he doesn't have time to squander on the little insignificant squawking pigeons making a rukuss around his feet so rather than wait around to be kicked and stepped on by the zion I am hoping for some advice here, probably from bootsy (I hope anyway)

Details- hp dv6000
    dual core 1.6ghz
    running vista (a brand spanking new, as of this afternoon, install of vista)
    2gigs of ram I think, the laptop is fully capable.

I am getting this error message: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-1a65731bbe38/

I have done the following- configured bios to boot from, well, just about every possibility, eventually restoring to defualt (which is boot from cd-dvd, then hd, then usb etc) nothing worked

I then took ownership of usb, nada. Took ownership of every single blasted file on the usb installer, nada.

Booted into recovery console and made sure disk 0 is active (and online strangely- like a raid volume? online?) and ran the following
    bootrec /fixmbr ; bootrec /fixboot rebooted, back into recovery console bootrec /rebuildbcd C:\WINDOWS and this part is strange-at NO point was bootrec ever able to find a windows installation. Weird right?

Yet every command from bootrec (the three mentioned) came back with result code of success, no error messages.

bootrec /scanos shows 0 windows installations.

diskpart list partition shows disk 0 only, with 2 partitions (C and D, no MBR) and just two volumes (one for each partition) so-it looks kind of like

I am missing my MBR partition. Is this strange, and does anyone have a solution?
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine
    i was pretty butt-hurt when mike said he didnt want to fuck with my home game because i was trannie-bombing threads, but ive definitely come to appreciate mike as a poster and a person and feel genuinely that the last thing on earth he deserves is a dime-store bipolar fruitcake like marty threatening him.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post
    Running vista, trying to get windows 8 installed. I downloaded a usb installation tool for windows 7 from microsoft (assuredly it will work, so i am told) and the usb installation tool assured me windows 8 is locked and loaded on this usb.

Just plug it in, re-order the bios, golden.

This is not what happened (it is windows afterall, but still, I expect SOME shit to work the first time around) and for two days now I have tried a number of supposed fixes and solutions to get this stupid shit WORKING.

I asked a guy online who's pretty knowledgable his opinion, and he doesn't have time to squander on the little insignificant squawking pigeons making a rukuss around his feet so rather than wait around to be kicked and stepped on by the zion I am hoping for some advice here, probably from bootsy (I hope anyway)

Details- hp dv6000
    dual core 1.6ghz
    running vista (a brand spanking new, as of this afternoon, install of vista)
    2gigs of ram I think, the laptop is fully capable.

I am getting this error message: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-1a65731bbe38/

I have done the following- configured bios to boot from, well, just about every possibility, eventually restoring to defualt (which is boot from cd-dvd, then hd, then usb etc) nothing worked

I then took ownership of usb, nada. Took ownership of every single blasted file on the usb installer, nada.

Booted into recovery console and made sure disk 0 is active (and online strangely- like a raid volume? online?) and ran the following
    bootrec /fixmbr ; bootrec /fixboot rebooted, back into recovery console bootrec /rebuildbcd C:\WINDOWS and this part is strange-at NO point was bootrec ever able to find a windows installation. Weird right?

Yet every command from bootrec (the three mentioned) came back with result code of success, no error messages.

bootrec /scanos shows 0 windows installations.

diskpart list partition shows disk 0 only, with 2 partitions (C and D, no MBR) and just two volumes (one for each partition) so-it looks kind of like

I am missing my MBR partition. Is this strange, and does anyone have a solution?
    Name:  b28.jpg
Views: 6311
Size:  67.1 KB

you appear to have no idea what you're doing. please turn off your computer.

in all seriousness, at your level i would never suggest playing with the bios and partitions as you have been doing

Load Metric
    The answer is right there in the url you provided Mike.

Pity you had to run your bitchass mouth, otherwise Id use half this many keystrokes to tell you where to look.

Load Metric
    Type 1: Reinstalling the Bootloader to the MBR and Bootsector
    Scenario
    You've installed another OS after installing Windows 7, so the new Vista/7 bootloader isn't used or doesn't appear when you reboot. Or you've installed Windows Vista/7, and it failed to install its bootloader to the MBR, but you can still boot into Windows XP.

Solution
    Run EasyBCD and go to the "Bootloader Setup" window:

fingers crossed.
    i was pretty butt-hurt when mike said he didnt want to fuck with my home game because i was trannie-bombing threads, but ive definitely come to appreciate mike as a poster and a person and feel genuinely that the last thing on earth he deserves is a dime-store bipolar fruitcake like marty threatening him.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Did you make the partition active; e.g.

C:\> diskpart
    DISKPART> select disk 0
    DISKPART> select partition 1
    DISKPART> active
    DISKPART> exit

Failing that try this (go straight for the "nuclear holcaust" option): http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBC...r+from+the+DVD
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Belly Buster View Post
    Did you make the partition active; e.g.

C:\> diskpart
    DISKPART> select disk 0
    DISKPART> select partition 1
    DISKPART> active
    DISKPART> exit

Failing that try this (go straight for the "nuclear holcaust" option): http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBC...r+from+the+DVD
    Yeah I had made the partition active. The problem turned out to be incompatibility between the vista/7 bootloader vs the EFI deal Windows 8 uses. I sold the laptop a long time ago but looking back I know where I went wrong and how to fix it. Dell and HP are definitely not high on my list of manufacturers I would buy in 2013...

Thread Information