Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** BREAKING: STATE OF EMERGENCY IN OREGON ***

Platinum
    Load Metric

*** BREAKING: STATE OF EMERGENCY IN OREGON ***

Apparently they just ruled to allow citizens to pump their own gas

Apparently in the backwards state of Oregon, since 1951 it has been illegal for gas station patrons to pump their own gas. Literally you are not allowed to by law.

I mean...are you shitting me??

In a sudden surge of common sense by the Oregon government, since the 1st of January citizens are now allowed to pump their own gas. (apparently this now leaves New Jersey as the only state left with this type of law)

Some residents applaud the new ruling, but others have a much different take...

note: this is just a few of the LOL posts made on a FB news link. Only one of the following 4 posts are satire...

Name:  FB_IMG_1515089945208.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  50.3 KB

Name:  26230864_1660390307315224_5146500958527549054_n.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  77.2 KB

For those with Facebook, here is a link to the Oregon news stations post that has gone viral and is filled with both satire and real actual Oregonians distraught over the new measure; the funny thing is that you have to read and look very hard at times to try and tell which comments are real and satire:

https://www.facebook.com/KTVLNews10/...59918059530323

Name:  26165302_10159743625035510_7730149778930565634_n.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  27.9 KB

Comments

sonatine: THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS

badguy23: I blame Justin Smith

hongkonger: Oregon trail meme rep

gimmick:

Daly: Better than dysentery

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The first time I got gas in Oregon and found there was no self-serve option, it was very tilting.

Furthermore, I had no idea what to do with the guy who pumped it. Tip him? Not tip him? I had no idea.

I just wanted to do it myself, but I wasn't allowed.

The guy walked away before I could tip him, so I guess he made my decision easy.

I have driven in the state of Oregon twice, but the prior trip I happened to have filled up in Yreka, CA (near Oregon border), so I didn't end up needing gas within the state. I only discovered it on my more recent trip to Oregon in 2015.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    The first time I got gas in Oregon and found there was no self-serve option, it was very tilting.

Furthermore, I had no idea what to do with the guy who pumped it. Tip him? Not tip him? I had no idea.

I just wanted to do it myself, but I wasn't allowed.

The guy walked away before I could tip him, so I guess he made my decision easy.

I have driven in the state of Oregon twice, but the prior trip I happened to have filled up in Yreka, CA (near Oregon border), so I didn't end up needing gas within the state. I only discovered it on my more recent trip to Oregon in 2015.
    Same experience. It blew my mind because I wasn’t expecting it. It was December and freezing so I was throwing money at the poor chaps.

Load Metric
    The hilarious thing is, it's not even worth getting worked up about.

The law only applies to about half the counties in the state.

It doesn't even remove the full service option, it just allows stations in qualifying counties to have self-service pumps and in others after normal operating hours.

And the jobs that people have as attendants won't go away because the stations are still required to have an attendant from 6 am - 6 pm.

Banned
    Load Metric
    I grew up in Oregon, and my first job was pumping gas when I was 14. It paid minimum wage, and i made $10-15 in tips every day. Because it's only in Oregon I have thought a lot about it over the years.

I have come to the opinion that it's actually better in the big picture'

Great job for young people.
    Cleaner gas stations.
    Less spills
    Less pump fires (state has done studies)
    One more person employed

The only real negative I can come up with is that it blows out of state people's minds.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by KidPresentable View Post

It doesn't even remove the full service option, it just allows stations in qualifying counties to have self-service pumps and in others after normal operating hours.

And the jobs that people have as attendants won't go away because the stations are still required to have an attendant from 6 am - 6 pm.

Wow

So what your saying is, Oregon is still overall dumber than what the rest of the country has given them credit for the past few days?

Im just curious how the hell someone fills their tank when it might be late and an attendant isnt on duty to fill it? How do people get gas if they have the unfortunate luck of living in one of these counties?

I mean, where i come from, even if its late and the gas station is closed, you can normally still drive up to the pump and fill your tank & pay at the pump if you have a debit/credit card.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post

Wow

So what your saying is, Oregon is still overall dumber than what the rest of the country has given them credit for the past few days?

Im just curious how the hell someone fills their tank when it might be late and an attendant isnt on duty to fill it? How do people get gas if they have the unfortunate luck of living in one of these counties?

I mean, where i come from, even if its late and the gas station is closed, you can normally still drive up to the pump and fill your tank & pay at the pump if you have a debit/credit card.
    You are all fired up over nothing. Maybe you should worry about world peace or something.

Oh and, Shut it down Gordo

Load Metric

My understanding is that is why the law was enacted. Much of Oregon is pretty sparsely populated...

https://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/dc1...Map_Oregon.pdf

Load Metric
    its unfortunate that a meme about a handful of rural ticki-torch whites in the particularly white separatist part of oregon are apparently being presented as the entire state.

edit: it is pretty hilarious tho.
    Last edited by sonatine; 01-04-2018 at 09:02 PM.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post

Wow

You are all fired up over nothing. Maybe you should worry about world peace or something.

Oh and, Shut it down Gordo

Im not "fired up"

Im just astounded and laughing. Thats the kind of shit we post here...get over it.

From what ive seen the past few days, the the only people worked up are that are some of the Oregonians who think the government has turned their backs on them and subjected them and their children to imaginary hazards.

Don't worry, im not going to Oregon any time soon...im just laughing at them (and New Jersey)

Comments

The_Lurker: you sound pretty fired uo

Platinum
    Load Metric

My understanding is that is why the law was enacted. Much of Oregon is pretty sparsely populated...

https://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/dc1...Map_Oregon.pdf

Like much of the rest of the country...

Everyone adopted more common sense laws since then...keep in mind they made the law 68 years ago, and it hasnt changed until now

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    its unfortunate that a meme about a handful of rural ticki-torch whites in the particularly white separatist part of oregon are apparently being presented as the entire state.

I dont know,, you do raise a valid point. id love to see real stats as to who is really distraught over this. I guess after seeing all of the comments the past few days i really have to wonder. I even had a FB friend who originally lived in Oregon and commented to me how shit is so backwards and so many residents are in their own world - hey, im just telling you what he said...but yes he is just one person.

Load Metric
    The number of people actually upset is probably some minuscule population of grandmas that sit on facebook all day and get outraged by everything. Despite the likelihood of a limited few actually caring, it has since become a story because we're all morons.

Load Metric

I dont know,, you do raise a valid point. id love to see real stats as to who is really distraught over this. I guess after seeing all of the comments the past few days i really have to wonder. I even had a FB friend who originally lived in Oregon and commented to me how shit is so backwards and so many residents are in their own world - hey, im just telling you what he said...but yes he is just one person.

i lived in oregon. portland is one of the most progressive places on the planet but 30 minutes outside and its farm country dotted with national parks where honest to god white militias have rallies.

its seriously terrifying and very very real.

so yeah those people are comedy gold when it comes to this sort of thing but outside the rural nightmare zones, its basically just seattle with less homeless junkie teenagers. and by less i mean like 5 or 6 less. oh and a great food truck scene too.

Comments

Gordman:
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    They have a full service station by me that people love. Up until 15 years or so ago when they installed the credit car machine to fill up after hours you weren't allowed to touch their pumps period. I learned the hard way. It was no law or anything, just their rule. I would only fill their after hours because small talk sucks and get your hands off my shit.

But yeah if you are a lazy fuck you can get all your candy and beer and smokes delivered to your window and then complain that the lady missed a spot on your windshield... which I heard people complaining about more than once. If there is any proof that God sucks cocks it is that he lets ingrates like that thrive.
    Last edited by Brittney Griner's Clit; 01-04-2018 at 11:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

i lived in oregon. portland is one of the most progressive places on the planet but 30 minutes outside and its farm country dotted with national parks where honest to god white militias have rallies.

so yeah those people are comedy gold when it comes to this sort of thing but outside the rural nightmare zones, its basically just seattle with less homeless junkie teenagers. and by less i mean like 5 or 6 less. oh and a great food truck scene too.
    We need to get comment from Nikki.

She lived for a long time in Bend, Oregon.

Bend is located in inland Oregon, and is the closest real city to Crater Lake (which is interesting to see if you've never been there).

In 2015, we saw Crater Lake, then spent the night in Bend. Bend only has 91,000 people, but for some reason it looks way bigger than that.

Then we spent the next day at the Newberry National Volcanic Monument, and suddenly we found ourselves back in Bend at night, and reservations all the way in Portland.

Instead of just getting another night in Bend, I was too Jewish to waste the night I paid for in Portland, so I drove the 163 miles (not all of it on interstates) and we got to Portland really late.

We passed by the hotel which had its exterior used in "The Shining", which I always wanted to see, but it was late, everyone was tired, and the exterior had changed a lot anyway since the movie. So I passed it by.

Anyway, I will say that inland Oregon did seem pretty backward, even Bend, which masquerades as the center of a metropolitan area.

The other odd thing in Oregon was that there had been fires burning there for weeks, and most of the state had a smoke problem, but it seemed no one was approaching the situation with any urgency, and a lot of it was just left to burn.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Fuck those NIMBY assholes in Bend! They don't have any truck stops there because of activism by some of the residents!

Inaugural Spring Classic Champion HoodedN's Avatar
    Load Metric
    New Jersey is another no self service state. But it's fucking new jersey so we expect dumb things

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by HoodedN View Post
    New Jersey is another no self service state. But it's fucking new jersey so we expect dumb things
    I lived in NJ for almost a decade, and just happened to keep a running total of all of the tips I gave the gas pump attendants there.

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric

Not sure if you been there for awhile . Downtown is now utter trash with homeless drug addicts everywhere. You are right though. If you get 45 minutes outside Portland you could could be in the most redneck southern state and not know the difference.

The most tilting thing about the you cant pump your own gas shit was having to wait . Sometimes it would take 5 minutes for someone to get to you. On the flipside, Oregons weather in the winter is dog shit so was kind of nice not having to get out of the car.

Comments

Sloppy Joe: Waiting for some junkie to pump is the worst
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    Can't argue with the job creating economics of the full service requirement, although those jobs tend to be filled by young men. How about full service bathrooms where a teenage chick holds your cock for you while you piss? Creates jobs AND promotes gender equality.

Comments

Indyrick: solid points

Thread Information