Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: C64 mini = Don't bother

  1. #1

    C64 mini = Don't bother

    https://thec64.com/


    Well, I was excited for this, since this was my first computer ever. However, this is going to be a fail and is obviously trying to cash in on the popularity of other mini versions of retro hardware.

    Here is the description of the features...

    •High Definition output at 720p via HDMI
    •Pixel Perfect graphics at 4:3 ratio, with full width, CRT filter and US/Europe display mode options
    •Save game function
    •2 USB ports: plug in a USB keyboard and use as a fully functional home computer with C64 BASIC, or add a second joystick for 2-player games
    •Supports software updates via USB flash drive


    Note: The keyboard keys are non-functional

    what?

    Non functioning keys on a keyboard? What's the fucking point? The F keys were vital to some games and to some of the most basic functions of BASIC.

    Also, a lot of the games pre packed with this are pretty bad or clones of other equally bad games.

    No Giana Sisters, No Flimbo's Quest, no Robocop, R-type or Shinobi.

    Basically, you are paying for a shitty emulator inside a 3d printed case, which you must plug a USB keyboard in to use.

    Hopefully the full sized version makes up for this.


    Fail.

     
    Comments
      
      GambleBotsChafedPenis: Nostalgia Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff
    We were asked why we allowed overt racism. We were asked why giant black cocks were all over our website.

  2. #2
    holy shit this brings back memories...first computer I had too...

    they do have California games, summer/winter/world games which were awesome..

    I loved micro league baseball...I had to have played thousands of games of that shit...

     
    Comments
      
      Cupid Stunt: C64 owner rep

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    holy shit this brings back memories...first computer I had too...

    they do have California games, summer/winter/world games which were awesome..

    I loved micro league baseball...I had to have played thousands of games of that shit...

    Yeah, not all the games are terribad. There are some gems there like you mentioned, along with stuff like Mission Impossible 1 & 2. But, the majority are just ones they could scrape the licences together for.

    64 games as well - which is not that huge considering the size of them is probably less than most MS Word documents. The fact that you cannot load your own via a USB or SD is also a killer.

    I'd wait till the full size version if you are interested. Maybe they will fix some of the problems they have with it. Still kills me that its a non functioning keyboard!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff
    We were asked why we allowed overt racism. We were asked why giant black cocks were all over our website.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupid Stunt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    holy shit this brings back memories...first computer I had too...

    they do have California games, summer/winter/world games which were awesome..

    I loved micro league baseball...I had to have played thousands of games of that shit...

    Yeah, not all the games are terribad. There are some gems there like you mentioned, along with stuff like Mission Impossible 1 & 2. But, the majority are just ones they could scrape the licences together for.

    64 games as well - which is not that huge considering the size of them is probably less than most MS Word documents. The fact that you cannot load your own via a USB or SD is also a killer.

    I'd wait till the full size version if you are interested. Maybe they will fix some of the problems they have with it. Still kills me that its a non functioning keyboard!
    I know, why the fuck even have one...LOL...we sure caesars didn't make this thing?

    its crazy that probably the entirety of the gaming collection is probably like a 1MB or something...I had some of the gameshows (card sharks/wheel of fortune) and they only had so many puzzles because the storage was LOL-80s small...

    man I really don't know when the full size version comes out...I was a little tempted to get the mini Nintendo...this would be a full on, 'holy shit I need to have this thing'...

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupid Stunt View Post


    Yeah, not all the games are terribad. There are some gems there like you mentioned, along with stuff like Mission Impossible 1 & 2. But, the majority are just ones they could scrape the licences together for.

    64 games as well - which is not that huge considering the size of them is probably less than most MS Word documents. The fact that you cannot load your own via a USB or SD is also a killer.

    I'd wait till the full size version if you are interested. Maybe they will fix some of the problems they have with it. Still kills me that its a non functioning keyboard!
    I know, why the fuck even have one...LOL...we sure caesars didn't make this thing?

    its crazy that probably the entirety of the gaming collection is probably like a 1MB or something...I had some of the gameshows (card sharks/wheel of fortune) and they only had so many puzzles because the storage was LOL-80s small...

    man I really don't know when the full size version comes out...I was a little tempted to get the mini Nintendo...this would be a full on, 'holy shit I need to have this thing'...

    I do actually have the whole set downloaded through a torrent to put on my Android Box. I seem to think it was probably more between 200-500mb. I think we got more software in Europe than in the US because most of the microcomputer software houses were based here. My brother actually worked for The Sales Curve (or SCI as now known), so you may of actually played one of his games funnily enough. Not only were the devs here, but the majority of the games here were on datasette and they were cheaper than floppies and also easier to copy. Only drawback was having to wait 10-15 mins for the tape to load your game, but the excellent loading screens made it worth it.

    Wait for the full size one man - if that one is a let down, then just grab a used c64 off of ebay and install a floppy emulator into it. Then you could load the games from a sd card on an actual c64.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff
    We were asked why we allowed overt racism. We were asked why giant black cocks were all over our website.

  6. #6
    While it looks cool.....you might be better off getting a Raspberry Pi zero or 3 and setting up the VICE emulator and playing roms that way

    http://www.miraclecovers.com

    "Donk down, that’s what you say to someone after they have lost 28K straight?" - Phil Hellmuth, online

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizzmoney View Post
    While it looks cool.....you might be better off getting a Raspberry Pi zero or 3 and setting up the VICE emulator and playing roms that way


    That is esentially all it is. In a shitty 3d printed case, with a locked out proprietary emulator.

    I say shitty, not because it's ugly, but because of the fucking keys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff
    We were asked why we allowed overt racism. We were asked why giant black cocks were all over our website.

  8. #8
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    4612
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    32,109
    Blog Entries
    2
    LOL non-functional keys.

    What a joke.

    I was actually jealous of the C64 because I had a VIC-20 in 1982, and then the C64 showed up and immediately made it obsolete.

    Ended up getting an IBM AT in 1985 and that was the end of my career with Commodores.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    LOL non-functional keys.

    What a joke.

    I was actually jealous of the C64 because I had a VIC-20 in 1982, and then the C64 showed up and immediately made it obsolete.

    Ended up getting an IBM AT in 1985 and that was the end of my career with Commodores.

    Always thought you owned a c64 for some reason?

    You did miss out. I was still using mine for gaming until I got a Megadrive/Genesis (played C64 more than NES/Amiga), and for a computer until I got a 386DX.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff
    We were asked why we allowed overt racism. We were asked why giant black cocks were all over our website.

  10. #10
    A new one, much better with front end and working keyboard, is coming out:

    http://www.miraclecovers.com

    "Donk down, that’s what you say to someone after they have lost 28K straight?" - Phil Hellmuth, online

  11. #11
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    4612
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    32,109
    Blog Entries
    2
    That one looks great.

    You never know from the demo video, but it definitely has promise.

    I might buy that when it comes out.

    Even has a VIC-20 mode! Wow!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mini Connor McGregor vs Mini Floyd Mayweather
    By Mintjewlips in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-26-2017, 03:54 AM
  2. PFA's Worst Poster: Mini Addition.
    By Pooh in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 12-16-2015, 11:38 PM
  3. Mini Trip Report Carnival Poker Pro
    By Sanlmar in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-10-2014, 06:40 PM
  4. Played JSearles22 at mini golf today
    By Lannister in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-09-2013, 02:54 PM
  5. iPhone 5, iPad mini jailbreak now available
    By fluffer in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 04:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •