Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Amy Schumer's Netflix special rated 1 star -- is the alt right to blame?

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryLaffer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lewfather View Post

Not sure if I agree about that, gareth sex's boy Drake was just under fire regarding ghost writers and most stand ups pride themselves on their own material. Often times asking other peers if they are stepping on toes regarding particular premises etc.

But sure generally speaking, your Amy Schumer fans probably don't give a fuck.
    Hey lew....you know that standups regularly sell material to each other? and they regularly don't give a fuck about stealing other peoples matieral......

see.....Bills Hicks vs Denis Leary (Learly stole nearly all of No Cure For Cancer from Hicks including the jim fixx joke)

Carlos Mencia vs Everyone, outed By Joe Rogan.

when standups try out new material, its on stage, while the others watch.
    Sure they sell material, a lot of times it's material they don't want to use but another act can. And then you have people like Carlos Menstealia and here's the reason why what you're saying is wrong, because he sat in the back of the room and regularly stole material and whats his career looking like now? lol

You also have the types like Robin Williams who stole from others but also signed off checks walking off stage because of it and it wasn't a pittance of money. You also have mongs like Dane Cook who end up with 60m in the bank off stolen jokes and have to get fleeced on TV shows and then you just have straight up douchebags like Denis Leary.

The point is that sure it happens but to lol sit there and think in your gook mind that this is a normality is like saying chip dumping fraudulent echecks is how all poker players scooped pre-black friday.

Comments

LarryLaffer: well done sir

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
    Druff is easily the biggest misogynist on PFA but Amy Schumer just isn't funny. Never has been in my mind. I don't recall Druff ever writing or speaking nicely of any women ever without a but somewhere in the same sentence. Cate Hall is attractive, but......ad nauseam.

I really enjoyed Schumer's early work, I legit think this is some of the funniest shit out there:

3 solid lol's and a half hearted but sincere guffaw and Ive watched this like a dozen+ times over the years.

But yeah she cant do a lot of her old material because a literal multi millionaire superstar cant really get on stage and complain about being the NYC equiv of poor white trash anymore, it doesnt play. So shes had to retool her act and it just isnt as funny, but you know, thats life.

Full disclosure: I also _love and respect_ Girls so yeah, thats me.

Not my type of humor, but as I said in my OP, Amy was at her best when she did Inside Amy Schumer, and it's been downhill from there. When I watched those Inside Amy skits, I thought to myself, "I don't really find this funny, but I can see how a lot of it is clever, and I see why a lot of people like this." When I watch her stuff today, I think, "This is just crass and lame."

Never really put into thought into why her act changed, but your guess is probably a good one.

Blaming Trump for her Netflix ratings being shit is pretty bad form, though. Looks like a sore loser, even if some of the bad ratings came from trolls. It's clear from reading the other ratings that her special just wasn't well received, even by many fans.

She should have worn the 1 star like a badge of honor, and encouraged the trolls to get her as close to 1.0 as possible. That would have taken the wind out of their sails. Instead, claiming it makes her feel "powerful and dangerous", while at the same time blaming Trump and the alt-right for attacking her, came off as disingenuous and butthurt.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I really enjoyed Schumer's early work, I legit think this is some of the funniest shit out there:

3 solid lol's and a half hearted but sincere guffaw and Ive watched this like a dozen+ times over the years.

But yeah she cant do a lot of her old material because a literal multi millionaire superstar cant really get on stage and complain about being the NYC equiv of poor white trash anymore, it doesnt play. So shes had to retool her act and it just isnt as funny, but you know, thats life.

Not my type of humor, but as I said in my OP, Amy was at her best when she did Inside Amy Schumer, and it's been downhill from there. When I watched those Inside Amy skits, I thought to myself, "I don't really find this funny, but I can see how a lot of it is clever, and I see why a lot of people like this." When I watch her stuff today, I think, "This is just crass and lame."

Never really put into thought into why her act changed, but your guess is probably a good one.

Blaming Trump for your Netflix ratings being shit is pretty bad form, though. Looks like a sore loser, even if some of the bad ratings came from trolls. It's clear from reading the other ratings that her special just wasn't well received, even by many fans.

She should have worn the 1 star like a badge of honor, and encouraged the trolls to get her as close to 1.0 as possible. That would have taken the wind out of their sails. Instead, claiming it makes her feel "powerful and dangerous", while at the same time blaming Trump and the alt-right for attacking her, came off as disingenuous and butthurt.
    not your type of humor, which means your opinion is bias.

what is Druff's type of humor. Druff, post your favorite stand up routine. We need a litmus test.
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I should also say that, while I personally don't support what the trolls did to her, in a way it's fitting.

Nobody is asking these Hollywood types to thrust their political opinions upon us, but so many of them do.

If their careers suffer enough backlash from such actions, maybe they will get off the soapbox and return to simply entertaining us like they're being paid to do.

Comments

LarryLaffer: her show had zero political opinions in it. but i watched it you didnt

Load Metric
    I should also say that, while I personally don't support what the trolls did to her, in a way it's fitting.

Nobody is asking these Hollywood types to thrust their political opinions upon us, but so many of them do.

If their careers suffer enough backlash from such actions, maybe they will get off the soapbox and return to simply entertaining us like they're being paid to do.

we need some relevant Druff standup. seriously.

please post your favorite stand up routine. I doubt you even watch stand up.

edit:

you're not going to. afraid we're all gonna laugh when you post a Gallagher video?
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Banned
    Load Metric
    OK Lare but which Gallagher?

Comments

BetCheckBet: melon crazy obv

Load Metric
    Lare talk us through setting up Netflix on ur 59 year old girlfriends TV

Load Metric

Blaming Trump for her Netflix ratings being shit is pretty bad form, though. Looks like a sore loser, even if some of the bad ratings came from trolls. It's clear from reading the other ratings that her special just wasn't well received, even by many fans.

Im not the hugest Inside Amy Schumer fan all said and done. I thought it was really, really inconsistent. Like I compare it to Louie, where he clearly was willing to put everything on hold until it was exactly what he wanted, and Inside comes away looking sloppy and amateurish in comparison.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    OK Lare but which Gallagher?
    they're all th esame....so i migt as well post the ending

George Steinbrenner

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryLaffer View Post
    by the way....

you don't get shit like this anymore. you know why? because you can't make fun of racisim throguh paraody anymore. just telling a racist joke means you're a racist.

i got a joke in my act that's about terrorism and islam and 72 virgins. It's hard to even do it, because even though the joke is about making fun of terrorists, people still hang on the islam fact, and therefore it sometimes dosen't get laughs.

all i all....people are dumb. dice is one of the kings.

there is no top top in comedy. there are a few who share the top. Dice included.
    Your act? Please, this is the forum for it. Also re:comedians becoming politically correct. Not true as a blanket statement as good comedians think funny by nature regardless of topic.

Comments

Shizzmoney: David Cross rep

Load Metric

They charge money at the door and do not pay any of the artists, so yes, tine, I'm going to drag them. Most comics know to avoid that place like the plague.

Ohhhh wow I had no idea that the performance space in the heart of Manhattan was free.

Fuck man this changes everything.
    LoL @ the sarcasm here. UCB sucks dick. Just like lew said, they don't pay their comics. End of story.

but nice job trying to make an excuse for them, by pointing out the Manhattan thing.

back to Amy Schumer:

she sucks. end. of. story.

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    Your act? Please, this is the forum for it. Also re:comedians becoming politically correct. Not true as a blanket statement as good comedians think funny by nature regardless of topic.

wow what an idea. let me just type up my entire 2 minute act right here and let it rip right? that should work so well.

nope

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    good one I saw posted elsewhere todayName:  FB_IMG_1490122102253.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  18.4 KB

Comments

Dan Druff: lol... also that's the best pic of her i've ever seen

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post
    Honestly, go listen to their quarterly conference calls. They constantly talk about their recommendation algorithm, and a big part of that is optimizing the way ratings are done. Like they've literally spent millions of dollars trying to better their recommendations algorithm. Netflix wants people to watch and discover as much good content as possible as they're more likely to stay subscribed. Seeing what the rating is for a show is literally the #1 thing I look at before I start watching something new, and probably most people feel the same way. To say the ratings system is something Netflix "probably doesn't care much about anyway" is astoundingly wrong.
    So you really think this timing was pure coincidence?

Given everything you posted above (which I didn't know or attempt to research when floating my theory about Schumer's people), it now looks to me that they already had pretty much decided to change the ratings system, but hastened its implementation to get ahead of the Schumer controversy, which was already making mainstream news.

I have a hard time believing that the date of implementation just happened to fall right after Schumer complained to the mainstream media about alt-right trolls gaming the Netflix 5-star rating system.
    My Netflix is still on the five star system btw. Schumer's people must be fuming
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post

So you really think this timing was pure coincidence?

Given everything you posted above (which I didn't know or attempt to research when floating my theory about Schumer's people), it now looks to me that they already had pretty much decided to change the ratings system, but hastened its implementation to get ahead of the Schumer controversy, which was already making mainstream news.

I have a hard time believing that the date of implementation just happened to fall right after Schumer complained to the mainstream media about alt-right trolls gaming the Netflix 5-star rating system.
    My Netflix is still on the five star system btw. Schumer's people must be fuming
    Time to short Netflix, Schumer's people are going to have it shut down permanently?

Comments

PLOL: HOF

Thread Information