Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Amy Schumer's Netflix special rated 1 star -- is the alt right to blame?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Amy Schumer's Netflix special rated 1 star -- is the alt right to blame?

Amy Schumer recently did a stand-up comedy special on Netflix entitled, "The Leather Special", where she spent an hour doing standup in a skin tight leather outfit.

The special currently has a 1 star (lowest) average rating. This is at least partially due to an alt-right plan, hatched on Reddit, to give the special 1 star.

However, there do seem to be plenty of honest 1-star reviews from people who otherwise seem to be fans of Schumer.

Some of them are shown here: http://decider.com/2017/03/14/amy-sc...l-bad-reviews/

She also has a very low score from users on Metacritic, though there are only 157 ratings total, so perhaps that's also the work of trolls: http://www.metacritic.com/tv/amy-sch...eather-special

I haven't watched it. I have Netflix, but I have no interest to see it. I've never enjoyed the "vulgar female" brand of comedy, which is basically a woman saying, "Hey, look, I'm female, and I can talk about being a slut and talk about gross stuff! Isn't that hilarious?!"

Steven Crowder did a 15-minute clip where he and sidekick Not Gay Jared watch the parts of the special and pause it every time Schumer slips back into gratuitous vulgarity. You can get a pretty good idea of her act from the Crowder clip:

Schumer posted this response on Instagram to her poor Netflix ratings:

I am so proud of my special and grateful to all the people spreading love on line about it. I am the first female comic who is selling out arenas all over the world and so grateful for that. I am embarrassed for the "journalists" who report on trolls activities as if it's news. It's indicative of administration right now. Anyone who reported that "viewers aren't happy" with my special, it would have been cool if you did a moment of research before posting. The alt right organized trolls attack everything I do. Read the @splitsider article. They organize to get my ratings down. Meeting in sub Reddit rooms. They tried on my book and movies and tv show And I want to thank them. It makes me feel so powerful and dangerous and brave. It reminds me what I'm saying is effective and bring more interest to my work and their obsession with me keeps me going. I am only alarmed by the people printing their organized trolling as "news" this is what the current administration wants. So this post has nothing against the trolls. I thank you trolls so much. It fills me with hope and power to see you all furiously posting so as always accuse me of whatever lies you want. Call me a whale. Call me a thief and I will continue to rise and fight and lead. I know who I am. I am strong and beautiful and will use my voice my whole time on this earth. Journalists do better it's embarrassing. Trolls see you on the next one!
    Oddly enough, she seems to be blaming Trump for her poor ratings, which is a stretch even if you want to say that the alt-right was partially responsible for this.

Has Amy Schumer jumped the shark?

There's only so long she can subsist on "I'm such a slut" and self-deprecating fat jokes before everyone -- even her fans -- get sick of her.

Comments

thesparten: DRUFF is suspect neo con or N.w.o.

Load Metric
    Shouldn't Netflix's algorithm take care of stuff like this? You don't see the average rating of a show, but rather the rating of what Netflix thinks you'll think of the show.
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric
    Having said that, Amy Schumer reminds me of somebody doing an impression of Amy Schumer. And I will not be watching her new special, especially with so much above par content on Netflix. Go watch Bo Burnham's newest special if you want to see a stellar performance.
    TRUMP 2024!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Amy Schumer recently did a stand-up comedy special on Netflix entitled, "The Leather Special", where she spent an hour doing standup in a skin tight leather outfit.

The special currently has a 1 star (lowest) average rating. This is at least partially due to an alt-right plan, hatched on Reddit, to give the special 1 star.

However, there do seem to be plenty of honest 1-star reviews from people who otherwise seem to be fans of Schumer.

Some of them are shown here: http://decider.com/2017/03/14/amy-sc...l-bad-reviews/

She also has a very low score from users on Metacritic, though there are only 157 ratings total, so perhaps that's also the work of trolls: http://www.metacritic.com/tv/amy-sch...eather-special

I haven't watched it. I have Netflix, but I have no interest to see it. I've never enjoyed the "vulgar female" brand of comedy, which is basically a woman saying, "Hey, look, I'm female, and I can talk about being a slut and talk about gross stuff! Isn't that hilarious?!"

Steven Crowder did a 15-minute clip where he and sidekick Not Gay Jared watch the parts of the special and pause it every time Schumer slips back into gratuitous vulgarity. You can get a pretty good idea of her act from the Crowder clip:

Schumer posted this response on Instagram to her poor Netflix ratings:

I am so proud of my special and grateful to all the people spreading love on line about it. I am the first female comic who is selling out arenas all over the world and so grateful for that. I am embarrassed for the "journalists" who report on trolls activities as if it's news. It's indicative of administration right now. Anyone who reported that "viewers aren't happy" with my special, it would have been cool if you did a moment of research before posting. The alt right organized trolls attack everything I do. Read the @splitsider article. They organize to get my ratings down. Meeting in sub Reddit rooms. They tried on my book and movies and tv show And I want to thank them. It makes me feel so powerful and dangerous and brave. It reminds me what I'm saying is effective and bring more interest to my work and their obsession with me keeps me going. I am only alarmed by the people printing their organized trolling as "news" this is what the current administration wants. So this post has nothing against the trolls. I thank you trolls so much. It fills me with hope and power to see you all furiously posting so as always accuse me of whatever lies you want. Call me a whale. Call me a thief and I will continue to rise and fight and lead. I know who I am. I am strong and beautiful and will use my voice my whole time on this earth. Journalists do better it's embarrassing. Trolls see you on the next one!
    Oddly enough, she seems to be blaming Trump for her poor ratings, which is a stretch even if you want to say that the alt-right was partially responsible for this.

Has Amy Schumer jumped the shark?

There's only so long she can subsist on "I'm such a slut" and self-deprecating fat jokes before everyone -- even her fans -- get sick of her.

Alt right???

What does that mean??

Anything not approved byy the ministry of information??

Anything that goes against u.n. mandates that superced the Constitution??

Or like in Europe you get arrested just for qoetng a dozen Iman,s that thousands of refugees that said they are capturing Europe with the help of anti west u.n.???

Those above are also considered alt right but are exactly true..

What is alt right??

Load Metric
    I'd fuck her, but I wouldn't brag about it afterward.
    HILLARY WON

Load Metric
    You're getting confused. Ministry of Information is from Harry Potter
    TRUMP 2024!

Load Metric
    yeah it was basically the same people who went at ghostbusters chick on twitter.

it wasnt her funniest show tho.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    If a group planned to hurt her career they should be ignored. And they just got one more person to take a look. I have only seen Schumer on Comedians... with Seinfeld so no real opinion going in.

I've watched 7 minutes and the audience is into it. The leather tour idea is a joke she's having on herself. You don't wear tight black leather these days or ever if you have her build, so she's using it comedically, not trying to be something she isn't.

Women comedians have it harder than any male even when they're good. Comedians are like Muslims, you have to assess them individually

Ok, another few minutes in and I've had a robust chortle or two. She's going where few others go and the women in the crowd are relating with guffaws.
    That's good comedy when you say something most people might only think and well within the bounds or decency. She's a Chris Farley type using her appearance to the max.

Comments

JimmyG_415:
    Last edited by limitles; 03-20-2017 at 01:31 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    If a group planned to hurt her career they should be ignored. And they just got one more person to take a look. I have only seen Schumer on Comedians... with Seinfeld so no real opinion going in.

I've watched 7 minutes and the audience is into it. The leather tour idea is a joke she's having on herself. You don't wear tight black leather these days or ever if you have her build, so she's using it comedically, not trying to be something she isn't.

Women comedians have it harder than any male even when they're good. Comedians are like Muslims, you have to assess them individually

Ok, another few minutes in and I've had a robust chortle or two. She's going where few others go and the women in the crowd are relating with guffaws.
    That's good comedy when you say something most people might only think and well within the bounds or decency. She's a Chris Farley type using her appearance to the max.
    Just in case anyone forgets this one

Banned
    Load Metric
    I watched it

[x] confirmed sucked

Chappelle's special comes out tomorrow, thank god.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    More like joke stealing is to blame.

Karma catches up to thieves at some point

Comments

ThreeBet: Wow, lol
    http://www.miraclecovers.com

"Donk down, that’s what you say to someone after they have lost 28K straight?" - Phil Hellmuth, online

Load Metric
    Not a fan of her work but that video critique is terrible. Nearly all the top comedians do the same routine and jokes over and over. Everyone knows that.

I do feel she is held to a different standard by conservatives like those in vid because of it. Again I don't even watch her comedy but standup males do exactly the same thing yet take no flak for it...

The are small exceptions to my rule but not many

Load Metric
    Name:  IMG_3073.JPG
Views: 519
Size:  54.2 KB

Load Metric
    It's rare when a female comedian can get me laughing. So right out of the gate they are behind the eight ball.

It used to be more funny when a female comedian talked dirty but this is 2017. She's not funny at all.

Load Metric
    Her sister lives in Chicago-land. Seen her around the poker rooms in Joliet. she's just as annoying as her sister Amy, and brags about being one of her writers.

Her brand isn't that good. It's tired and old. she was doing these slut jokes years ago.

Buttttt......just like some of the profilic posters here, she (and them) need new material.

LoL @ blaming the alt-right. That's gonna be the new trend. Blaming internet trolls for things that you had control over.

She's not edgy enough anyway to make it. People like Clay, Kinnison, Hicks, Saget, they had it.

Druff, you sometimes have it.......

Amy? no she doesn't.
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post
    Shouldn't Netflix's algorithm take care of stuff like this? You don't see the average rating of a show, but rather the rating of what Netflix thinks you'll think of the show.

This is what made me go though everything I watched and rate it.

Netflix needs to work harder in the documentary section

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryLaffer View Post
    Her sister lives in Chicago-land. Seen her around the poker rooms in Joliet. she's just as annoying as her sister Amy, and brags about being one of her writers.

Her brand isn't that good. It's tired and old. she was doing these slut jokes years ago.

Buttttt......just like some of the profilic posters here, she (and them) need new material.

LoL @ blaming the alt-right. That's gonna be the new trend. Blaming internet trolls for things that you had control over.

She's not edgy enough anyway to make it. People like Clay, Kinnison, Hicks, Saget, they had it.

Druff, you sometimes have it.......

Amy? no she doesn't.
    All things considered we did elect an internet troll as our president.

Comments

LarryLaffer: such a sad but true statement

Load Metric
    I must say I'm SHOCKED Druff is bashing yet another successful rich white female. SHOCKED!!
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I forgot to mention.

Like a day after this whole controversy erupted, Netflix announced they were doing away with "star" ratings, and changing it to a simple thumbs up/down system.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/16/14...thumbs-up-down

Presumably this wasn't a coincidence, and perhaps Schumer's people leaned on them to do so.

Load Metric
    I forgot to mention.

Like a day after this whole controversy erupted, Netflix announced they were doing away with "star" ratings, and changing it to a simple thumbs up/down system.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/16/14...thumbs-up-down

Presumably this wasn't a coincidence, and perhaps Schumer's people leaned on them to do so.
    FFS, Druff!!! A mega-billion dollar media company is going to cave to pressure from the "people" of a single feminist comedienne??? What the fuck are you smoking???

Comments

Henry:

Shizzmoney: LOL
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Thread Information