Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** Mike Dentale vs. Cate Hall Heads Up Grudge Match Rail -- Sunday 3/19, 12pm PDT

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FPS_Russia View Post
    Why are you saying no?

Did you not see Cate repeatedly checking her phone? What do you think she was looking at? The weather forecast?

I'm not saying that's what won it for her. She clearly ran way better AND played way better.

But for sure she was getting tips/past hands sent to her, and Mike wasn't doing the same.
    Thats his fault, he prepared his excuse for losing before the match even started saying she cheated or something because she bought dougs HU course. Guy is a total moron if he wasnt checking the hands

Comments

MumblesBadly: Despite the tiny font of your text... Exactly!
    follow me on twitter @chinamaniac
    https://twitter.com/chinamaniac

Blog Entries
    Cate played very well regarding making the right moves involving calling/folding/raising.

She seemingly always made the right decision -- calling him down when he was bluffing, folding when she was beat, and bluff-raising when he had a hand he would lay down.

While I give her a lot of credit for this, I believe she was also picking up on Dentale's tells -- possibly because her friends were texting these tells to her. That's not far fetched to believe, because khalwat and I noticed a lot of these tells, and you have to imagine that Hall's friends did, too. For example, when Dentale was weak/bluffing, he just rapidly fired out bets. When he was strong, he would talk before betting.

Notably, there was the hand where Dentale had Q6 and Hall had 55 on a Q34QT rainbow board.

Dentale barreled the whole way, and Hall folded the relatively meaningless T river.

Before you say that's a reasonable fold, keep in mind that Dentale had been repeatedly barreling underpairs, bottom pairs, and sometimes bluffs -- often stupidly. So what made Hall so sure on a QQ34T board that he didn't have simply a pair of 3s or 4s?

I believe it was Dentale's speech before barreling the river, which her friends likely alerted her earlier was indicative that he was strong.

Otherwise I don't understand the fold, as he would have played a pair of 3s or 4s the same way as he played the trip Qs, and he's automatically less likely to have a Q given the presence of two on the board.

Dentale was also weird in that he would barrel in spots where she was surely calling, and even worse, calling down with horrible hands (including that last one where he had a pair of 2s on a TERRIBLE board), yet seemed afraid to push much when he had big draws.

Most notably, when he flopped an open ended straight and flush draw, he didn't push very hard, despite having a shortish stack. Sure, he ended up missing, and sure, Cate might have called him, as she had top pair weak kicker on the flop, but he could have made it a lot tougher if he bet big and then shoved. He would have bricked, and he would have busted a bit earlier, but it would have been a reasonable way to have gone out. Nobody would have been questioning why a semi-short Dentale put his tournament life on the line with a monster draw.

I didn't see many mistakes on Hall's part, though she did take an odd line on a few hands. One of them was the hand near the end where she held 75 and got a great flop of 763. Dentale had J6, and would have given her action from behind. However, I was very surprised when Hall check/called the flop, and then check-called an overcard before folding to yet another overcard river (J), which ended up making Dentale 2 pair. What was she doing there? What was she hoping to do with that 75? 763 is one of the best flops you're going to get with that hand, and if she did improve to make a straight, obviously it's a lot tougher to get action at that point. At the same time, it's extremely vulnerable to suckouts if you play it passively, so why do so? But this hand was more the exception than the rule. Most of the time I agreed with Cate's play, and the times I didn't, she arguably made the right move anyway, based upon Dentale's actions.

Dentale gave the excuse at the end (when chatting with Polk and Deeb in the booth) that he played somewhat poorly because he was so frustrated about constantly missing his draws. It's true that Dentale was missing almost every draw, even huge ones. It's also true that repeatedly missing (and watching your opponent get smacked by the deck) can be very frustrating, and it's extremely difficult to play an optimal game at that point. But Dentale was making such large mistakes that it's hard to picture he would have played very well if the distribution of cards were more even.

Blog Entries
    I'm not saying Hall was cheating by looking at her phone. As Srsly said, it was allowed, so she did it. He should have done it, too, but arrogantly/stupidly chose not to.

The problem here was that Dentale felt like he was the superior player and "didn't need" anything which would give him a further edge. Training videos? Nope. Coaching? Nope. Studying proper heads up play strategy? Nope. Checking his phone to get updates on Cate's past hands in the match? Nope.

He felt he had such an edge on her that he would just have to show up and his skill would take care of the rest.

Hall, being the more intelligent and educated of the two, prepared a lot for the match AND took every edge possible. I don't fault her for this. That was the right thing to do, and that's what I would have done.

This heads up match only proves one thing. Cate Hall has smarter poker friends than Mike. They should have either played in isolation with no phone access until the match was completed or at the very least have both players expose their hole cards at the end of every hand. Getting hand history and possible tell information from your friends is not poker. Cate proved to be the bitch that I thought she was.

Comments

rollinx420: getting texts from friends about past hands is so fucking gay

Comments

FPS_Russia: lol

https://twitter.com/catehall/status/843612138526707713

how long would the line be for this? guessing it would be in the thousands...congrats you beat a jersey shore reject...there would be a line of profitable 50-100+ NL grinders lining up around the block to fucking throttle her ass...

I heard of hair extensions or hair transplants but is there such a thing as finger plants? One of her fingers is the size of two fingers put together. Speaking of transplants someone in the Dentale Hall chat stream said that Dentale hair plugs are more authentic than Dan Negranu. Any confirmation or truth to that accusation?Name:  hair.JPG
Views: 352
Size:  18.8 KB
    Last edited by daleboone; 03-20-2017 at 07:08 AM.

Name:  atkins.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  50.9 KB
    Cate Hall resembles Susan Atkins from the Manson family

Quote Originally Posted by daleboone View Post
    I heard of hair extensions or hair transplants but is there such a thing as finger plants? One of her fingers is the size of two fingers put together. Speaking of transplants someone in the Dentale Hall chat stream said that Dentale hair plugs are more authentic than Dan Negranu. Any confirmation or truth to that accusation?

seriously. and like....she could totally not call attention to it by riffling a STACK OF 20 CHIPS.

also, aviator sunglasses? WHAT THE FUCK. no fucking class. CLASSLESS. Patton wore Aviators. This bitch, despite winning this LOL heads up match (lets be honest, anyone can beat this Dentale guy) is no Patton. maybe Patton Oswaldt. if she's lucky.

you know what's class? Rayban Wayfares, or New Wayfares.

I wouldn't be caught dead with a pair of aviators.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Blatant Larry troll.
    I knew there wouldn't be more than 5 posts in this thread before Larry was mentioned.

Picture waking up in bed to her early in the morning with no make up on and get treated to her rancid breath ? Could not ask for more

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    What a tool Dentale is. Talking smack all the way and playing like a total donk pussy.

Funniest thing is watching Cate pissing herself laughing at how bad he played. Just look at her face after some of those spewy calls from Mike - smiling from ear to ear.

I could have played better than him.
    This one is so gay even for your standards, even with the low low bar you have set at the tip of onesteps dick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Hunt
    NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Nova Scotia's REAL #1 Webcam DJ sonatine's Avatar
    his plan was to tilt her, and it might have worked if she didnt show up with the winning hand like 98% of showdowns.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowski

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    his plan was to tilt her, and it might have worked if she didnt show up with the winning hand like 98% of showdowns.
    I only watched the second game but calling off with 96 on a 9K7QA board is plain retarded.
    This one is so gay even for your standards, even with the low low bar you have set at the tip of onesteps dick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Hunt
    NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

She definitely card racked him but however many degrees above standard deviation I'm not sure of. That Q5 hand was just.. my god. but I thought after that she set the tone for the 2nd match RIGHT out the gates with the first hand when she had air on the paired x board vs his 55. I believe Dentale lead and she raised. He went in to the tank and folded and that was all she wrote for that game. He never played the same again, making insanely loose calls. It's one thing to peel a flop but he was peeling turns as well.

Another horrific play was when he bet the river on the counterfeit board against her A high $700 in to $3kish of course she is calling. Just horrific.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lewfather View Post
    She definitely card racked him but however many degrees above standard deviation I'm not sure of. That Q5 hand was just.. my god. but I thought after that she set the tone for the 2nd match RIGHT out the gates with the first hand when she had air on the paired x board vs his 55. I believe Dentale lead and she raised. He went in to the tank and folded and that was all she wrote for that game. He never played the same again, making insanely loose calls. It's one thing to peel a flop but he was peeling turns as well.

Another horrific play was when he bet the river on the counterfeit board against her A high $700 in to $3kish of course she is calling. Just horrific.
    Pretty much this.

His second-to-last hand, calling down a pair of 2s on a horrible board, was even worse than the other ones above.

I believe he would have played better if he got more of an even share of good cards/draws, but his play just became terrible beyond what you or I would ever do, and obviously we're not just talking about one hand.

The 55 hand on the 722 board where he got check-raised off... that was understandable. From there he fell apart, but truthfully he was playing horrible starting the final third of the first match, concluding with that awful Q5o call-off.

Quote Originally Posted by lewfather View Post

Pretty much this.

His second-to-last hand, calling down a pair of 2s on a horrible board, was even worse than the other ones above.

I believe he would have played better if he got more of an even share of good cards/draws, but his play just became terrible beyond what you or I would ever do, and obviously we're not just talking about one hand.

The 55 hand on the 722 board where he got check-raised off... that was understandable. From there he fell apart, but truthfully he was playing horrible starting the final third of the first match, concluding with that awful Q5o call-off.
    I get what you're saying, it's easy to play when you're making flops even more so HU. I just thought in general Dentale played exceptionally bad. It's possible that Cate could have won without coaching, I seriously doubt upswing poker training helped her more so than the live reads she was being fed via text and also kind of obviously live by Doug Polk. Did you notice him leaving the booth right around breaks for extended periods of time to eat "pizza".

Shes rocking his patch, everyone knows she trained on his site *likely for free post patch* the last thing Polk wants to see is her get crushed.

Blog Entries
    LOL perfect ending to all of this if true:

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 207
Size:  74.2 KB

Blog Entries
    Yes, the controversy continues!

A mysterious woman on Twitter named Katelyn Tobin, who otherwise uses Twitter infrequently and doesn't seem to have any known connection to poker, tweeted this:

Blog Entries
    I actually see both sides of this tipping controversy.

I believe that Cate honestly thought the dealers were "taken care of" by the production. Even Matt Glantz conceded in one of his tweets that Cate probably believed this at the time.

However, the question remains: Should Cate have automatically assumed this, or should she have asked someone at the production before leaving a $0 tip on a $30k win?

And was the production at fault for not warning both players beforehand about the fact that the dealers weren't being paid anything beyond their normal low wage, and would need to be tipped?

I'd say there was fault on both ends.

Cate shouldn't have just assumed the dealers were taken care of. It should be noted that Cate had been on the show before, and was aware that players tipped the dealers, so I don't know why she thought a freezeout format would be different.

Poker Night should have told the players that tipping the dealer was their responsibility. In their defense, this was the first time they did a heads up freezeout, and players (including Cate and Mike) had always tipped the dealers on the normal cash format of the show.

Given how hyped this event was, and given how much exposure it got Poker Night in America, I agree that the show should have taken care of the dealer tips here. I realize it's a low-margin production, but this is only a 3-figure sum of money, and they easily could have done so.

At the same time, Cate was wrong to bitch about how she wasn't paid, when in actuality she was.

Furthermore, if Cate chose to attend a show party, where she was likely lavished upon with lots of attention, she shouldn't have implied it was a burden on her for which she wasn't compensated.

Bottom line: I believe the lack of tipping by Cate was an oversight, and she corrected it by later giving $500. However, she did have a rather flippant attitude about the matter when it was brought up to her. Poker Night in America should probably have covered this in the first place, though, and was pretty cheap for not having done so.

Blog Entries
    This show should have taken care of the dealers for all the publicity it got but it wouldn't hurt her to give a a few hundred bucks.

The bigger question here is how much compensation did she get paid for wearing the Upswing patch that barely could be seen on the stream?
    BeerAndPoker Blog: Click HERE
    Twitter: @BeersAndPokers

Thread Information