Thread: Canada, is this true?

Load Metric

Canada, is this true?

The only person convicted in the 1985 Air India bombings that killed 331 people has been freed, according to Canada’s parole board.

Inderjit Singh Reyat had been ordered to live at a halfway house following his release from prison one year ago, after serving two decades behind bars.

That condition has now been lifted and Reyat may return to a normal life, including “living in a private residence”, parole board spokesman Patrick Storey told AFP in an email.

The Sikh immigrant from India was convicted of making bombs that were stuffed into luggage and planted on two planes leaving Vancouver, and of lying in court to cover for his co-accused.

One bomb tore apart Air India Flight 182 as it neared the coast of Ireland, killing all 329 people aboard, including entire families.

The second exploded at Japan’s Narita airport, killing two baggage handlers as they transferred cargo to another Air India plane.

The blasts followed a crackdown on Sikhs fighting for an independent homeland, and those behind it were allegedly seeking revenge for the storming of the Golden Temple in Amritsar by Indian troops.

Reyat was working as a mechanic in westernmost Canada and purchased the dynamite, batteries and detonators used to construct the bombs.

Two alleged co-conspirators were acquitted due to a lack of evidence and, according to prosecutors, because of Reyat’s perjury.

Storey said Reyat’s parole officer has assessed those with whom he will live “to ensure they will not have a negative influence on him”.

Conditions of his release from prison also still apply, including having no contact with the victims’ families nor with extremists.

Reyat must also shun all political activities and take counseling for violent tendencies, a lack of empathy and exaggerated beliefs.
    link

Load Metric
    Thanks Trudeau

Load Metric
    So this is about 1 year for every 11 people killed. Really a +ev move for old Inderjit.
    Save a Cow - Eat a Vegetarian, they're grass-fed.

Load Metric
    LOL Canada...

Name:  Charles_Ng.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  22.3 KB

Comments

Dan Druff: can't return this serial killer to California, he might face the death penalty, OMG!!!!
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryLaffer View Post
    LOL Canada...

Name:  Charles_Ng.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  22.3 KB

LOL Canada without the LOL is still LOL Canada.
    Save a Cow - Eat a Vegetarian, they're grass-fed.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    The only person convicted in the 1985 Air India bombings that killed 331 people has been freed, according to Canada’s parole board.

Inderjit Singh Reyat had been ordered to live at a halfway house following his release from prison one year ago, after serving two decades behind bars.

That condition has now been lifted and Reyat may return to a normal life, including “living in a private residence”, parole board spokesman Patrick Storey told AFP in an email.

The Sikh immigrant from India was convicted of making bombs that were stuffed into luggage and planted on two planes leaving Vancouver, and of lying in court to cover for his co-accused.

One bomb tore apart Air India Flight 182 as it neared the coast of Ireland, killing all 329 people aboard, including entire families.

The second exploded at Japan’s Narita airport, killing two baggage handlers as they transferred cargo to another Air India plane.

The blasts followed a crackdown on Sikhs fighting for an independent homeland, and those behind it were allegedly seeking revenge for the storming of the Golden Temple in Amritsar by Indian troops.

Reyat was working as a mechanic in westernmost Canada and purchased the dynamite, batteries and detonators used to construct the bombs.

Two alleged co-conspirators were acquitted due to a lack of evidence and, according to prosecutors, because of Reyat’s perjury.

Storey said Reyat’s parole officer has assessed those with whom he will live “to ensure they will not have a negative influence on him”.

Conditions of his release from prison also still apply, including having no contact with the victims’ families nor with extremists.

Reyat must also shun all political activities and take counseling for violent tendencies, a lack of empathy and exaggerated beliefs.
    link
    Didn't go to the link but yeah, wtf? Satan would behave in prison to influence a parole board.

And not long ago, the guy who cut the head of a twenty year old sitting in front of him on a Greyhound, was out of jail after a few years. Now this guy is or was completely psycho so that is a factor in court, but still.

Comments

Henry: We're going to have to put you guys on the ban list. So sorry.

Load Metric
    Confirmed true.

I'd still take our legal system over the US one though.

Comments

Henry: Hey buddy, this isn't about us.

hongkonger: this
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Disgusting, Canada gives a new meaning to the saying " too nice ".

Load Metric
    I remember when this was going on AG's department struggled with this case.

Its worse than it looks... a whole lot of seemingly guilty people avoided jail for this tragedy.

Inderjit Singh Reyat worked as an auto mechanic and electrician in Duncan, British Columbia on Vancouver Island. Investigation of the bombing in Tokyo led to discovery that he had bought a Sanyo radio, clocks and other parts found after the blast. He was convicted of manslaughter for constructing the bomb. As part of a deal, he was to testify against others, but as he declined to implicate others, he would be the only suspect convicted in the case.[9

the long list of accomplices....

:from wikipedia

The main suspects in the bombing were members of a Sikh separatist group called the Babbar Khalsa (banned in Europe and the United States as a proscribed terrorist group) and other related groups who were at the time agitating for a separate Sikh state called Khalistan in Punjab, India.[92]

Talwinder Singh Parmar, a Canadian citizen born in Punjab and living in British Columbia, was a high-ranking official in the Babbar Khalsa. His phone was tapped by CSIS for three months before the bombing.[10] He was killed by the Punjab police in 1992 while in custody.
    Inderjit Singh Reyat worked as an auto mechanic and electrician in Duncan, British Columbia on Vancouver Island. Investigation of the bombing in Tokyo led to discovery that he had bought a Sanyo radio, clocks and other parts found after the blast. He was convicted of manslaughter for constructing the bomb. As part of a deal, he was to testify against others, but as he declined to implicate others, he would be the only suspect convicted in the case.[93]
    Ripudaman Singh Malik was a Vancouver businessman who helped fund a credit union and several Khalsa schools. He was acquitted of any involvement in the bombings.[94]
    Ajaib Singh Bagri was a mill worker living in Kamloops. He said in a 1984 speech, after Hindu mobs had murdered three thousand Sikhs in Delhi and other places in retaliation for the assassination of the Prime Minister of India by her Sikh Bodyguards,[95] that "Until we kill 50,000 Hindus, we will not rest."[96] He and Malik were acquitted in 2005.[97]
    Surjan Singh Gill was living in Vancouver as the self-proclaimed consul-general of Khalistan. Some RCMP testimony claimed he was a mole who left the plot just days before its execution because he was told to pull out, but the Canadian government denied that report. He later fled Canada and is believed to be in hiding in London, England.[98]
    Hardial Singh Johal and Manmohan Singh were both followers of Parmar and active in the Gurdwaras where Parmar preached. On 15 November 2002, Johal died of natural causes at 55. His phone number was left when ordering the airline tickets, he was seen at the airport the day the luggage was loaded, and he had allegedly stored the suitcases containing the bombs in the basement of a Vancouver school, but was never charged in the case.[99]
    Daljit Sandhu was later named by a Crown witness as the man who picked up the tickets. During the trial, the Crown played a video from January 1989 in which Sandhu congratulated the families of Indira Gandhi's assassins[100] and stated that "she deserved that and she invited that and that's why she got it".[citation needed] Sandhu was cleared by Judge Ian Josephson in a 16 March judgment.
    Lakhbir Singh Rode was the leader of the Sikh separatist organisation International Sikh Youth Federation. In September 2007, the commission investigated reports, initially disclosed in the Indian investigative news magazine Tehelka,[101] that Parmar had allegedly confessed and named the hitherto-unnamed Lakhbir Singh Rode as the mastermind behind the explosions.[102] This claim appears to be inconsistent with other evidence known to the RCMP.[103]
    Last edited by Baron Von Strucker; 02-16-2017 at 08:47 PM.
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Is there even a remotely logical explanation for releasing him?

How can this possibly be justified, even by the most leftist of criminal justice standards?

Let me guess... he has rehabilitated and become a new man while imprisoned, right?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

How can this possibly be justified, even by the most leftist of criminal justice standards?

Let me guess... he has rehabilitated and become a new man while imprisoned, right?

He wasn't convicted of killing 331 people. He plea bargained something like 3 man slaughters, few bomb charges and then got slapped for a 9 year conviction of perjury. Total for all that he sat for 30 years. For me that sounds about right. I doubt they ever thought that he planted the bombs. They believed he helped build the bombs. He was the only person convicted because they fucked up the cases against their prime suspects something like 15 years ago and the 4th guy that had something to do with the bombings was killed in India in the 90's.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post

He wasn't convicted of killing 331 people. He plea bargained something like 3 man slaughters, few bomb charges and then got slapped for a 9 year conviction of perjury. Total for all that he sat for 30 years. For me that sounds about right. I doubt they ever thought that he planted the bombs. They believed he helped build the bombs. He was the only person convicted because they fucked up the cases against their prime suspects something like 15 years ago and the 4th guy that had something to do with the bombings was killed in India in the 90's.
    If you built a bomb to use on an airliner, and that bomb killed 331 people, you should at the very least life in prison (since I know the death penalty doesn't exist in Canada).

Anything short of that is absolute insanity.

If they can't stretch 3 manslaughter charges and "a few bomb charges" into a life in prison sentence for something like this, then there's something very wrong with their justice system.

One problem with the lack of a death penalty option is that you rarely get anyone pleading down to life in prison, whereas in the US that's very common.

But it goes beyond that. The fact that he is actually allowed to live in a private residence after something like this is an absolute monster miscarriage of justice.

If this 30-year sentence followed by a full release sounds "about right" to you, then it's no wonder I always feel that your political policy posts are always so far detached from reality.

Load Metric

If you built a bomb to use on an airliner, and that bomb killed 331 people, you should at the very least life in prison (since I know the death penalty doesn't exist in Canada).

Anything short of that is absolute insanity.

If they can't stretch 3 manslaughter charges and "a few bomb charges" into a life in prison sentence for something like this, then there's something very wrong with their justice system.

One problem with the lack of a death penalty option is that you rarely get anyone pleading down to life in prison, whereas in the US that's very common.

But it goes beyond that. The fact that he is actually allowed to live in a private residence after something like this is an absolute monster miscarriage of justice.

If this 30-year sentence followed by a full release sounds "about right" to you, then it's no wonder I always feel that your political policy posts are always so far detached from reality.
    I think they have some kinda mandatory parole system in Canada that if you behave 2/3 of your sentence you are forced to be released on parole. So his total sentence was something like 45 years. I assume at the time it made sense to prosecution to offer him the deal they did.

That btw is the logical explanation part. Not so much that i agree it should have been pleaded to what it was pleaded to, but i don't have the same information the prosecution had at the time. It very well could have been their best play for getting any kinda conviction.

For what he actually did a life sentence would have been appropriate, but for what he was convicted of, 45 years sounds about right. I assume they deal all bomb related incidents by having some basic bomb charges and then tackle up what ever damage that was caused. Bargaining from 331 murder charges to 3 man slaughter charges likely means the prosecution had enough evidence to get a conviction if the defendant pleaded guilty.

Banned
    Load Metric
    In the states he would have faced the firing squad, fuck that asshole.

Load Metric
    Dear American friends, please take your seat in the kitchen where you will be served hot dogs and jello on paper plates. Until you elect an adult to run your country you have no voice in adult discussions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Load Metric
    Will there be Kraft Mac and Cheese and not the cheez whiz kind the powdered kind???

Comments

Deal: box of KD it is. Ketchup for the hot dogs as mustard is for infidels

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric

This raghead refused to testify against the others despite a deal in place with the Crown. Fucking joke system.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Comments

gauchojake: Get a new phone bro
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chaps' 2017-18 NFL $$ Thread

Thread Information