Thread: WPT has its first EVER Female Open title champion

Load Metric

WPT has its first EVER Female Open title champion

The WPT has had a few close calls.. Several female pros have made the final tables in past WPT Open events.. Kathy Leibert has recognition as the most cashes as a female in WPT history.. But until 2/14/2017 no female had ever taken down a WPT open major event and earned the right to say they were a champion and had their name etched onto the Championship Cup..

Ema Zajmovic took down the WPT Playground Poker Championship yesterday for CAD $261,000 besting a field of 380. Her comment after winning "“Honestly, I am really happy that I proved women can do it. The funniest and nicest part of this experience was all the women who came and were so supportive of me. It was amazing. When I started playing poker, there was so much competition between girls. It was hard to be good and be supportive of each other. Now it has evolved so much and it is nice to see I had support from older women, younger women."

Ironically Zajmovic was also at the FT of the tournament Mike Sexton took down last year.. With the win she is now in 4th place in the WPT player of the year standings.. Its a good bet this might not be her only WPT Title..

Hendon Mob database shows shes only had a handful of reported cashes and this win more then doubles her lifetime earnings. Her best WSOP finish was a 929th in last years Main Event.

Oh and she gets a cool wrestling like title belt as well (Doesn't she look a lot like Liv Boree??)

Name:  ema_zajmovic_wpt_belt.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  185.2 KB

Bronze
    Load Metric
    As long as it's not Cate Hall or Loni Harwood I'm happy

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    ^^^ - Annie Duke or Melanie Weisner would be worse winners.

Comments

lvpkr1009: Solid choices as well

Load Metric
    Its a good bet this might not be her only WPT Title..
    Fuck off.

It's a great bet that it WILL be her only WPT Title.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Its a good bet this might not be her only WPT Title..
    Fuck off.

Maybe maybe not.. Her previous history indicates possibly not but she's obviously been playing better as of late as it was her second straight FT in a WPT event (she FTd in December when Mike Sexton won his first event).. Its not easy to FT back to back events.. I get it that WPT titles are notoriously hard obviously but odds are eventually WPT is gonna get a multitier female winner and why it couldn't/shouldn't be her especially if shes turned a corner in her playing style and such shouldn't be discounted.. Yes could be variance heater Ill give you that but look at Anthony Zinno he had a few cashes here and there starting in 2007 and then suddenly in 2012 the guy solved whatever was holding him back and he took off with tons of cashes from then out..

Its my own opinion for whatever its worth that poker players have a learning curve and that until they can get through certain mindsets they really cant do well in tournaments.. Tourneys are different then cash games by far.. What works in cash can get your chips destroyed in tournaments.. Nearly all tournament players started playing cash and you have to adjust accordingly to the mentality.. I do decent playing cash when I actually have a bankroll to play which hasn't been much lately obviously due to personal issues from my back and such (which may have gotten worse now I may have a lower back issue reoccurring which I was warned about 5 yrs ago from my last major surgery), Tournaments as a rule I cash some online I'm probably legit a net loser live for sure.. (Its great to have avg finishes above mid pack but when only 10-15% cash it does nothing to your bottom line unless you finish there). haven't even played much online lately as I pulled what I had on ACR and Ignition a few months back to do some investments which honestly are having a better ROI for me then poker has the past year) I still play some on betonline and occasionally on ClubWPT (usually its just to get in to and try and bink for a live seat somehow).. I'm rambling I know.. waiting for meds to kick in between the back spinal issues and nasty bronchitis Ive been fighting sleep has been rough this week to say the least.. Peace out..

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lvpkr1009 View Post
    As long as it's not Cate Hall or Loni Harwood I'm happy

i'd bang both of them.

and 4 times on sunday.

just sayin
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post

Fuck off.

Maybe maybe not.. Her previous history indicates possibly not but she's obviously been playing better as of late as it was her second straight FT in a WPT event (she FTd in December when Mike Sexton won his first event).. Its not easy to FT back to back events.. I get it that WPT titles are notoriously hard obviously but odds are eventually WPT is gonna get a multitier female winner and why it couldn't/shouldn't be her especially if shes turned a corner in her playing style and such shouldn't be discounted.. Yes could be variance heater Ill give you that but look at Anthony Zinno he had a few cashes here and there starting in 2007 and then suddenly in 2012 the guy solved whatever was holding him back and he took off with tons of cashes from then out..

Its my own opinion for whatever its worth that poker players have a learning curve and that until they can get through certain mindsets they really cant do well in tournaments.. Tourneys are different then cash games by far.. What works in cash can get your chips destroyed in tournaments.. Nearly all tournament players started playing cash and you have to adjust accordingly to the mentality.. I do decent playing cash when I actually have a bankroll to play which hasn't been much lately obviously due to personal issues from my back and such (which may have gotten worse now I may have a lower back issue reoccurring which I was warned about 5 yrs ago from my last major surgery), Tournaments as a rule I cash some online I'm probably legit a net loser live for sure.. (Its great to have avg finishes above mid pack but when only 10-15% cash it does nothing to your bottom line unless you finish there). haven't even played much online lately as I pulled what I had on ACR and Ignition a few months back to do some investments which honestly are having a better ROI for me then poker has the past year) I still play some on betonline and occasionally on ClubWPT (usually its just to get in to and try and bink for a live seat somehow).. I'm rambling I know.. waiting for meds to kick in between the back spinal issues and nasty bronchitis Ive been fighting sleep has been rough this week to say the least.. Peace out..
    I'm not discounting her chances at all. I never said it was a great bet that she'd never win another tournament again, I said specifically another WPT main event. There just are not that many of them & they're so hard to win so to think it's a "good bet" somebody will win another is kinda absurd.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    She's a woman so I will bet against her winning it all again, I ma not sexist just a math teacher and psychologist.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Chick is god, was trying to check her out in the Bahamas, was obv she was a poker freak

Thread Information