Size:  46.3 KB
    Of all the money e'er I had, I spent it in good company

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Name:  goodfellas_ray_liotta.jpg
Views: 8635
Size:  80.8 KB

Load Metric
    It's nice when Martin Scorsese makes the greatest movie of all time about your life. Jake LaMotta agrees. RIP

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by HEX View Post
    It's nice when Martin Scorsese makes the greatest movie of all time about your life. Jake LaMotta agrees. RIP
    Guy lived in fear his whole life after the Witness Protection Program ditched him.

Even though all they guys he put in jail died years ago, he was always fearful some young douche bag would try to make a name for himself killing the Good Fellas rat.

Hard to believe he made it to 69. Great number if you have to pick an age to die.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset316 View Post
    Guy lived in fear his whole life after the Witness Protection Program ditched him.

Even though all they guys he put in jail died years ago, he was always fearful some young douche bag would try to make a name for himself killing the Good Fellas rat.

Hard to believe he made it to 69. Great number if you have to pick an age to die.
    Didn't he become a drug dealer while he was in the WPP?

Load Metric
    Listening to interview moments with him now on Howard. LOL he said he didn't believe he would go to hell... funny stuff.
    ´*•.¸(*•.¸https://twitter.com/RealFckVwls¸.•*´)¸.•*´

http://i.imgur.com/TsBfg.jpg

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by devidee View Post

Yes, he could never stay clean. They gave the guy every chance in the book before the booted him. Not sure what killed him in the end, but he was a chain smoker and they said he died after a long illness.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by devidee View Post

I think you are thinking of Sammy the Bull. He got busted in an ecstacy ring in AZ.

It's amazing Mr. Hill made it this long, among other things he was an extremely unhealthy alcoholic. He definitely was always funny on Howard, but the last couple of times were pretty depressing considering his health.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Vwls View Post
    Listening to interview moments with him now on Howard. LOL he said he didn't believe he would go to hell... funny stuff.
    If he asked Jeebus for forgiveness one time than he's good.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Link to these VWLS?
    Of all the money e'er I had, I spent it in good company

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by HEX View Post

What????
    You are smoking crack.
    He was on TV all the fucking time.
    A regular on Stern, A+E, wrote like 5 books.
    Yeah he was real scared.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyG_415 View Post

What????
    You are smoking crack.
    Yeah he was real scared.
    I am 100% right. But who fucking cares. The guy is dead now.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTemplar View Post
    Link to these VWLS?
    http://www.howardstern.com.tw/

Scroll down to the "H.S. Daily Shows and more" link - then listen to 6-13-12. (Henry Hill segment begins at 13:00 in the first file.)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyG_415 View Post

What????
    You are smoking crack.
    Yeah he was real scared.
    I am 100% right. But who fucking cares. The guy is dead now.
    You are 100 % right, if I was scared of the mob killing me, I'd be on Stern (all the fucking time), I'd show up at scheduled events like the gangster's hall of fame grand opening, and I'd be on TMZ taking w/pictures w/Ray Liotta, too. Can't keep a lower profile than he did.

I didn't know Pileggi's wife was the writer of my Blue Heaven, though. That was a classic.

http://www.webpronews.com/henry-hill...-at-69-2012-06

In 2006, he posed with Ray Liotta in a photo shoot for Entertainment Weekly. In 2010, Hill was into the Museum of the American Gangster in New York City.

Load Metric
    They discuss that on the show (see link above) and the reason Henry came out of hiding and didn't worry too much about getting killed is because by then the mob, as it had been, was really essentially gone. It had been aggressively dismantled by law enforcement for too many years, and what was left of it were new guys who didn't care about Henry.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    tough always being right:

----------------------------------------

In a familiar wiseguy drawl Hill shakes his head and admits: "I did a lot of bad things back then. I shot at people, I busted a lot of heads, and I buried a lot of bodies.

"You can try to justify it by saying they deserved it, that they had it coming, but some just got whacked for absolutely no reason at all."

The former mobster, who is still in hiding 30 years after becoming an FBI supergrass, is reminiscing about his life of crime over tacos in a fish restaurant near Los Angeles.

He is back in the spotlight as the 20th anniversary of the release of Martin Scorsese's seminal gangster movie Goodfellas approaches this year.

The film was the story of Hill's wild life in the Mafia and featured an assorted bunch of real life capos, hitmen and psychopaths, most of whom now lie in unmarked shallow graves, or died of old age in prison cells.

By contrast Hill, 67, who was played by a young Ray Liotta, is alive and seems as surprised as anyone that he wasn't himself "whacked". The Mafia has a notoriously long memory for betrayal and the price on his head was reputedly more than £1 million.

When he set up a website only a few years ago it was inundated with so much abuse he established a section called Threat of the Week. A typical winner read: "Regarding your corpse goodbye rat."

While he no longer wears a fake beard in public Hill still does his best not to draw attention. His designer suits are gone and now he's wearing anonymous looking combat trousers, a pink short sleeve shirt, and a cloth cap pulled low over his forehead.

He nervously chain smokes Pall Mall cigarettes, his eyes darting around and clocking anyone who walks in. At the sound of a chair scraping on the floor he instinctively spins around to look.

"There's nobody from my era alive today," Hill says. "But there's always that chance that some young buck wants to make a name for themselves.

"It's surreal, totally surreal, to be here. I never thought I'd reach this wonderful age. I'm just grateful for being alive."

Hill was born to an Irish father and Sicilian mother in New York in 1943 and joined the Lucchese crime family, one of the city's Five Families. He excelled at his chosen profession, hijacking trucks, fixing basketball games, collecting gambling debts, dealing drugs and "breaking heads".

Goodfellas, based on Nicholas Pileggi's book "Wiseguy", details how following the 1978 Lufthansa heist at JFK airport, then the largest cash robbery on US soil, he "turned rat" and sent a string of Mafia figures to jail.

It meant Hill had to give up everything he had ever known.

"The money," he laughs ruefully. "The money was ------- unbelievable. We never robbed nothing small or that was not a major score.

"The government said a couple of hundred million dollars went through my hands. But I just blew it on slow horses, women, drugs and rock n' roll.

"We partied five, six nights a week and I was making $15,000 to $40,000 a week. That was just my end. But I was a degenerate gambler. I could lose $40,000 in a week."

Despite the wealth and status his Mafia connections brought Hill says he was constantly on edge as people were killed all around him.

He describes his friends Jimmy "the Gent" Burke, and Tommy DeSimone, played by Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci, as murdering psychopaths.

"The whole ------- crew were homicidal maniacs," Hill says. "Just about every guy was a cold blooded ------ murderer. It was tough for me. I showed up with them when I had to but I was walking between rain drops. Every day I was scared.

"I never killed nobody – at least not on purpose. I shot at people but we didn't stick around to find out what happened."

Hill doesn't like to talk about the bodies he helped bury but admits there were at least a dozen of them. By 1980 he was in fear of his own life.

He says: "I knew I was going to get whacked and it came pretty close. So it was either me or them. I knew it, and they knew it. Initially, I had a lot of remorse and it took me a long time to forgive myself for what I did, for being a rat. But I knew I saved a lot of lives by putting a lot of horrible people away. You live by the sword, you die by the sword."

Those he put away included Burke, a ruthless villain believed to have been involved in at least 50 murders. His name was changed to Jimmy Conway in the film for legal reasons.

Hill coached De Niro on how to play Jimmy and the actor, legendary for his attention to detail, was on the phone five or six times a day during filming.

"He would call and ask 'How would Jimmy hold a cigarette? How would Jimmy hold a shot glass? I thought that was kind of weird at the time but he did a great job," said Hill. He even taught De Niro the correct technique for pistol whipping a victim.

Goodfellas ends with Hill going into the government's witness protection programme. A final scene has him standing outside a modest house, saying: "Now I get to live the rest of my life like a schnook." Hill explains that, in reality, he was unable to fully break with the past and kept in contact with people back home. Details of his location leaked, and the Mob nearly got to him again.

He was moved 10 times to areas including Nebraska and Kentucky, living under aliases such as Martin Lewis and Peter Haines.

In 1987 he was arrested on drugs charges and he was released from witness protection in the early 1990s, re-assuming his own name.

These days he is a reformed character - most of the time. Last year he was arrested for a drunken scuffle at a hotel in Illinois. He still goes to Las Vegas every six weeks to gamble but he's no longer a high roller. While he used to throw away hundred dollar bills at the craps table, now he just plays the slots.

At home he spends a lot of time painting, which acts as a catharsis. A typical scene shows a man being shot and falling off a building. Ever the entrepreneur, he sells his work on eBay, and also uses the internet to market his own spaghetti sauce.

He still likes watching Goodfellas, which he describes as "95 per cent accurate," and speaks with genuine warmth about Liotta, who he saw just a month ago.

Hill is less enamoured with Hollywood executives and claims that, while he made $550,000 from Goodfellas, he is still owed millions of dollars.

He is still in contact with the FBI and delivers occasional talks at which he tells "knucklehead kids" to stay on the straight and narrow.

His message to any aspiring young hoodlums among them is simple.

"Forget about it. Stay in school."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...m-release.html

Walking Image Library
    Load Metric
    ^^ Nice Crowe. Howard on Henry Hill, this morning. Maybe you will be able to do this on DD in 2016.

Thread Information