Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The vastness of space

Load Metric

Comments

lvpkr1009: Strangely pretty cool

IamGreek: I loved this!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yep, that's what they want you to believe.

Load Metric
    vas deferense of space
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Platinum
    Load Metric
    The only thing that can rival the huge sums when talking about the universe is the US national debt. I believe that manned interstellar space travel is pretty much impossible. We've never been visited by aliens or UFO's and we never will and vice versa. That sucks because there's surely other life out there unfortunately even the speed of light is too slow.

Comments

GringoStar: What a limited view of the possibilities. People not even 200 years ago would have thought the idea of an airplane was preposterous.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FPS_Russia View Post
    The only thing that can rival the huge sums when talking about the universe is the US national debt. I believe that manned interstellar space travel is pretty much impossible. We've never been visited by aliens or UFO's and we never will and vice versa. That sucks because there's surely other life out there unfortunately even the speed of light is too slow.

You base that on today's science.

The last few decades has taught us that nothing is off the table.

Alpha Centauri (our nearest star which also has possible earth like planet/s orbiting it) is reachable according to NASA research. It's 4 light years away but technology just around the corner could get a manmade craft there in less than 40 years. And relatively, we're talking early scientific technology here.

BELIEVE
    http://pnimg.net/w/articles-attachments/1/4c2/74d75c36d2.jpg

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post

Alpha Centauri (our nearest star which also has possible earth like planet/s orbiting it) is reachable according to NASA research. It's 4 light years away but technology just around the corner could get a manmade craft there in less than 40 years. And relatively, we're talking early scientific technology here.

BELIEVE

Aye, if Wigan can win the FA Cup, anything is possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Load Metric
    Thanks bottomset
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Bronze
    Load Metric

BELIEVE

I just picture having to listen to 4 years of "are we there yet, how many more minutes till we are there" from my kids and the endless games "I spy with my little eye something black"

Platinum
    Load Metric

BELIEVE
    Vsauce addresses a trip to our nearest star.

I think there's maybe a 20% chance we'll go to Mars just to say we did it and maybe a .002% chance we'll go outside of Mars orbit. We're stuck here and if our geoengineering scheme on climate change doesn't work it looks like our species may not be around to much longer. I wonder what it'll be like in a 1000 years, heck we may already be extinct or close to it.

I think technology has peaked, of course there'll be small improvements here n there but there'll be no major breakthrough that unlocks interstellar space travel. Hey at least we'll have some kick ass space telescopes, detectors etc to satisfy our urge to explore. I think the James Webb tsc is nearing completion I'm not sure tho.
    Last edited by FPS_Russia; 12-06-2016 at 10:04 PM.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    We haven't been to moon for 44 years. In fact the last mission blasted off on this day in 1972.

No way we are getting to Mars in this century. And if we don't make it this century, we'll probably never get there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Belly Buster View Post
    We haven't been to moon for 44 years. In fact the last mission blasted off on this day in 1972.

No way we are getting to Mars in this century. And if we don't make it this century, we'll probably never get there.
    I have to disagree. I think we will get there in the next 50 years. I do agree w/ FPS that we won't be able to get past there.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Belly Buster View Post

I have to disagree. I think we will get there in the next 50 years. I do agree w/ FPS that we won't be able to get past there.
    I should clarify - when I say make to Mars I mean get someone there and back in one piece. We can fire crappy probes that crash there right now. It wouldn't be too hard to strap a human with lots of water and pot noodles to one of these probes and fire them at mars and watch them crash too.
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Cubic Zirconia Schlomo_Goldsteinberg's Avatar
    Load Metric
    educate yourselves on "space" and why we haven't been to another "planet", including "the moon"

http://www.youtube.com

thank me later

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlomo_Goldsteinberg View Post
    educate yourselves on "space" and why we haven't been to another "planet", including "the moon"

http://www.youtube.com

thank me later

Thanks for the link to youtube.

Comments

Tellafriend: educate yourself

Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe: educate yourself
    Save a Cow - Eat a Vegetarian, they're grass-fed.

Load Metric
    Name:  Jupiter,_Earth_size_comparison.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  2.43 MB

Load Metric
    Name:  vLDDxexl.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  114.2 KB

Load Metric

I think technology has peaked, of course there'll be small improvements here n there but there'll be no major breakthrough that unlocks interstellar space travel.
    Forget about 50, 100, 200, 500 years ago. Think about where we were just 20 years ago compared to now. You think technology has peaked?

Comments

Ricky: THIS. If you think tech has peaked, you aren't paying attention, or aren't very smart. In a decade, people will only come out of vr to fucking eat.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    Name:  Jupiter,_Earth_size_comparison.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  2.43 MB
    The cloud patterns on Jupiter reminded me of a related kind of space exploration.

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric

BELIEVE

when one says 'we've never been visited' who is 'we' exactly?

whats more, even using our totally thin-spectrum definition of what 'time' is, we measure time when discussing the stars in terms of multiple millions of years. just sticking to earth science, we have cyanobacteria fossils in australia that are over 3 billion years old.

and yet, if 'aliens' visited us more than 300 years ago, the people visited would have been killed as witches and the records of it deliberately destroyed as sacrilege.

two thousand years ago, the closest thing to a written word in America were petroglyphs on cave walls.

10,000 years ago, the height of technology was farming gourds to carry water and food.

the grim truth is that we, humans, are cosmic garbage and our entire lives constitute something like one ten thousandth of one heart beat in this planet's life alone.

as vast as space is, it is the age of its contents which are the meaningful metric in terms of scale, and when you add that third variable to the 'civilization rising' equation (life supporting planets / non life supporting, evolution / extinction survival, inevitable self destruction) two things become obvious:

1) we have never really been alone.

2) we know of aliens and visa versa no better than the bacteria in my toilet water know about the bacteria chilling in the soil in my garden.

Comments

Tellafriend: as you like to say, "cogent."

lewfather: "That's Right Morty! This is gonna be a lot like that. Except you know. Its gonna~Belch~ make sense."

Reno:
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    It is really difficult to get your head wrapped around this stuff:

Thread Information