Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish lives matter

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Fish lives matter

Load Metric
    Saw that on the news yesterday...that's not too far from where I live. In fact, last week that same group protested a Chick-Fil-A that I sometimes eat lunch at. I wasn't there but saw it on the news. They came in dressed like bloody chickens, holding fake knives with fake blood all over the place as a way to protest cruelty towards the chickens.

The thing that bugs me the most about it is when the protesters either use kids to get their message out ( like they did with the fish), or they make disgusting signs or displays and hold them right up in kids faces (like they did at Chick-Fil-A.) Ridiculous.

Load Metric
    Somebody didn't go fishing with their son when he was little. I would suggest tossing that fish in a cooler though if you're gonna keep it.

Load Metric
    I've developed mixed feelings about fishing. As someone with fishing woven into the fabric of my family and my personality, as someone who has moved across the country on three occasions just to fish specific watersheds, obviously I hold a great affection for it.

But one thing those experiences have opened my eyes to, is that a lot of those great fish runs are flirting with extinction. The great native pacific steelhead runs are at their lowest point in recorded history. One river famous around the world for its steelhead runs reported that less than 500 fish returned to spawn this year. A decade ago, the average return was was something like 30,000. The reason is basically global warming; it disrupts the food chain and you end up with less food for the fish to eat, less oxygen in the water, and hungrier predators. The thought of contributing to their genetic extinction by stressing them the fuck out by slamming a piece of iron through their jaw was kind of a pivotal moment for me; I couldnt do it. And I'm just one person, a lot of these rivers will have anglers lined up shoulder to shoulder for miles during peak season.

To put this in vaguely Buddhist terms; that's a lot of horror, terror, pain, and death being inflicted on sentient creatures.

And yet, I'm not at the point where I want to stop fishing entirely. I intend to head out to fish local waters fairly regularly, albeit catch-and-release largely, but I'm still cognizant of the fact that I'm doing real damage to those fish every time I hook them and not all of them will survive the ordeal.

Now. That said, regarding the video... thats great how woke that kid is but the parents should teach him to mind his own fucking business and find a more creative outlet for his protests. I remember clearly an old head warning me while we were fishing the American River in Sacramento; just because someones fishing doesnt mean they arent a fucking lunatic meth head. And true to his word, a week later someone got stabbed to death over a bullshit dispute about some minor transgression like casting too close to someones line or failing to get out of the way of a hooked fish. So jawing at total strangers, even in the relative safety of a local park, is not an instinct that should be encouraged, pretty much ever.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    I've developed mixed feelings about fishing. As someone with fishing woven into the fabric of my family and my personality, as someone who has moved across the country on three occasions just to fish specific watersheds, obviously I hold a great affection for it.

But one thing those experiences have opened my eyes to, is that a lot of those great fish runs are flirting with extinction. The great native pacific steelhead runs are at their lowest point in recorded history. One river famous around the world for its steelhead runs reported that less than 500 fish returned to spawn this year. A decade ago, the average return was was something like 30,000. The reason is basically global warming; it disrupts the food chain and you end up with less food for the fish to eat, less oxygen in the water, and hungrier predators. The thought of contributing to their genetic extinction by stressing them the fuck out by slamming a piece of iron through their jaw was kind of a pivotal moment for me; I couldnt do it. And I'm just one person, a lot of these rivers will have anglers lined up shoulder to shoulder for miles during peak season.

To put this in vaguely Buddhist terms; that's a lot of horror, terror, pain, and death being inflicted on sentient creatures.

And yet, I'm not at the point where I want to stop fishing entirely. I intend to head out to fish local waters fairly regularly, albeit catch-and-release largely, but I'm still cognizant of the fact that I'm doing real damage to those fish every time I hook them and not all of them will survive the ordeal.

Now. That said, regarding the video... thats great how woke that kid is but the parents should teach him to mind his own fucking business and find a more creative outlet for his protests. I remember clearly an old head warning me while we were fishing the American River in Sacramento; just because someones fishing doesnt mean they arent a fucking lunatic meth head. And true to his word, a week later someone got stabbed to death over a bullshit dispute about some minor transgression like casting too close to someones line or failing to get out of the way of a hooked fish. So jawing at total strangers, even in the relative safety of a local park, is not an instinct that should be encouraged, pretty much ever.
    Tine, get into Walleye fishing.

Go to Canada, you literally can't fish them into extinction.

I have had days where I caught 200 Northerns and Walleyes.

Plus Walleye on the grill with a bit of butter and paprika ... yummmm

Load Metric
    The guys fishing held it together. Well done.

I figured this was going to end in a fight.

Comments

sonatine: fading the under

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83 View Post

Walleye (and pike for that matter) are totally on my bucketlist. But that said my passion is fly fishing. In Canada there are a _lot_ of opportunities to fly fish in still water for pike & massive trout in lakes so who knows, hopefully someday. Honestly if not for the real estate boom in Vancouver I'd probably already own a house there. Down here tho, I'm pretty much fly fishing freestone rivers 100 times out of 100.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

well thought out and i can respect your opinion on the matter, though i feel differently.

Thing is, they experience this on the daily from other predators anyway. I'm not sure what we add to it is that significant. Just my feelings.

Comments

LarryLaffer: food chain circle of life rep

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post

well thought out and i can respect your opinion on the matter, though i feel differently.

Thing is, they experience this on the daily from other predators anyway. I'm not sure what we add to it is that significant. Just my feelings.

"Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post

I 100% completely agree. On top of which, all these fish are predators and they wouldnt be alive if they didnt outright murder other things to stay alive.

But I'm at a point in my life where contributing to that festival of grief is ...distasteful.

Comments

Sanlmar: Festival of grief

Load Metric
    It's ok to eat fish cause the don't have any feelings

Load Metric

Where the fuck have you been fishing? Admittedly there are some great fishing lakes in remote northern areas but they are not that easy to get into & are very costly. Most lakes in western Canada have very specific limits & a lot of lakes have only catch & release. You make it sound like all our lakes are just teaming with fish waiting to be caught & nothing could be further from the truth.

Over-fishing & natives netting has taken it's toll.

You're right about cooking them for sure, just don't forget to cut out the "cheeks" of the walleye. When I was a kid we used to be able to catch so many fish that we could make a meal of these.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Humans are the nut low

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    #libtards101 luls

Comments

big dick: you're such a dork

Load Metric
    Seeing this reminds me of the stupidity of some radical vegans like this one below..

Name:  Milk+is+murder_df6716_6297110.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  69.3 KB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post

Where the fuck have you been fishing? Admittedly there are some great fishing lakes in remote northern areas but they are not that easy to get into & are very costly. Most lakes in western Canada have very specific limits & a lot of lakes have only catch & release. You make it sound like all our lakes are just teaming with fish waiting to be caught & nothing could be further from the truth.

Over-fishing & natives netting has taken it's toll.

You're right about cooking them for sure, just don't forget to cut out the "cheeks" of the walleye. When I was a kid we used to be able to catch so many fish that we could make a meal of these.
    One of the great things about Canada is "private lakes." In the US we have private ponds, but up there I have stayed at places where there are 8-16 boats on the lake and it can take 30 minutes to an hour to get across the lake running it wide open.

Sometimes you have to be flown in, but I know of a couple drivable places 3-4 hours west of Thunder Bay as well.

Comments

Deal: Jesus. TB is 14 hours from civilization

Hockey Guy: Cool but 3-4 hours west of Thunder Bay would be considered remote.

Load Metric
    PFA fishing trip. Ontario, Canada. Who's in?

I can suggest great places for Pickerel/Walleye, Pike, Muskie, Bass. Fly, live bait, or lure.

The great lakes are all really high with water this year, as are all lakes and rivers in Ontario. I prefer the northern lakes and rivers. Expect a good season. Trump supporters not welcome in Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Load Metric
    Sault Ste Marie and I'm in.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    One false move and Goldie gets it.

Name:  goldieblender.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  88.4 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Belly Buster View Post
    One false move and Goldie gets it.

Name:  goldieblender.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  88.4 KB
    Being the frat boy that I was, a bunch of us put goldfish in shots of Jim Beam and downed them. Didn't see it in my shit the next day but I looked.

Thread Information