Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** One Drop $1 million dollar super lotto donkament discussion thread

Bronze
    Load Metric
    i read on 4 this morning or pokernews(not sure which) jenn tilly said phil was watch there on a monitor close by because he doesnt like big crowds..she said it had something to with too much energy, it was also reported that phil was crying when antonio gave his father the braclet pretty sure it was in the "live reporting omaha hi lo 8"

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post
    Best case scenario...$18 million - $1 million -($17 million divided by 2) = $8.5 million - 40% taxes (about $3.5 million) = about $5 million.

That is if Antonio Esfandiari owned 50% of himself.
    If he had 20% of himself (say he sold 80% at a 1.1 markup that would leave him with 20% of himself for $120,000) it works out as:

$17.3 million profit x .2 = 3.46 million. Taxes will be done at the end of the year but he can post the buy-in and other costs as expenses (for the entirity of his year), probably ends up paying about 30% federal (Nevada has no income tax), so $3.46 x .7 = $2.42 million, and that's for 20% of himself. Even if he is in top bracket of 35% it's still $2.24 million.

If he had 50% I think he pockets $5.6 million, and probably closer to $6 million considering the charity deductions and so on. But I think the win is worth at least $2 million more based on sponsorships and other opportunities that will present themselves. He probably had a decent piece of Rast as well as I'm sure they swapped percentages, so their is another $50k-$100k

Based on his reaction it seemed that Antonio was doing well, but not wealthy, maybe worth mid six to low seven figures total. A couple million changes everything for him if this is the case
    The top income bracket is 39.6% federal income tax, only part of the $1 million dollar buy-in is tax deductible.

Antonio swapped 2% with Rast.
    As for making $2 million off sponsorship? No fucking way, it not 2006 and Antonio is from Iran.
    Now if Antonio were female or a European douchebag, PokerStars would definitely sponsor him.

Jamie Gold won $12 million back in 2006, he had to split that with another dude who helped get him into tournament.
    Jamie pocketed $6 million but he blew all of it in a few years, hookers, cocaine and gambling.

What are the odds Antonio goes crazy and spends all of his money gambling and partying?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbuspoker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    Why does everyone think since Phil Laak is good buds with Antonio that he must be at the final table railing him at the One Drop?

I mean sure their is a good chance someone whose a close friend will do that but we shouldn't be automatically assuming their is a fallout if they aren't there imo.
    I never said falling out that was someone else, but I can guarantee that if my best friend was at the final table playing for $18 million I would be there.
    I only say that because I read this on a few places afterward and saw it on twitter people saying the same thing "Where is Phil Laak"?

Anyways, from Phil Laak twitter he was definitely at the after party:

https://twitter.com/RealPhilLaak/status/220447932426625024

Load Metric
    I was reading reports on 2p2 that he had anywhere between 46% and 80% of himself.

An interview with pokernews showed him registering was a rather spur of the moment thing, and there is a receipt that shows a 460,000 bank wire and the other 540,000 was in chips, which can indicate the low end of the 46%.

http://yfrog.com/nt1tvzxj

He did sell at face value

Antonio Esfandiari ‏@MagicAntonio
    Leaning towards playing the One Drop...if anyone I know is interested I'm selling at face value shoot me a text shop closes tuesday
    he also stated that he was selling shares at a minimum of 1%

Antonio Esfandiari ‏@MagicAntonio
    @kdhelper min buy 1 perc so sure.
    one guy offered 100k but he never got it and he sold out his shares he wanted within 24 hours:

SIKMO ‏@SiKMOpoker
    @MagicAntonio-->Inbox Me-->$100,000K NoProblem-->Let's Smoke Em!!!!
    Expand
    Reply Retweet Favorite
    24 Jun Antonio Esfandiari ‏@MagicAntonio
    @SiKMOpoker ship me a hunji u got it buddy. I'm at Rio all day everyday.
    SIKMO ‏@SiKMOpoker
    @MagicAntonio You Never Got Back 2 Me Concerning That Hunji! Still Willing 2 Send it Your Way-->"You Can Just Blow It"-->My #1PokerPro!
    Expand
    Reply Retweet Favorite
    27 Jun Antonio Esfandiari ‏@MagicAntonio
    @SiKMOpoker sold out budd but ty
    Someone on twitter later asked how much of himself he has:

Joe Madden ‏@JoeMadden2011
    @MagicAntonio Did you actually drop $1 Million to play in 'One Drop' or do sponsors help out with the pay for you pros? That's alotta dough.
    Expand
    Reply Retweet Favorite
    30 Jun Antonio Esfandiari ‏@MagicAntonio
    @JoeMadden2011 I sold some pieces but I have a lot of my dough invested as well.
    I predict the guy probably had between 40-50% of himself. I know 2% eventually went to Rast and I've read a few places that Tilly and Phil bought 10% of him. I don't know if he did any other swaps or so on, but the buy in ticket leads me to believe he had to have had at least 40%.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post
    Best case scenario...$18 million - $1 million -($17 million divided by 2) = $8.5 million - 40% taxes (about $3.5 million) = about $5 million.

That is if Antonio Esfandiari owned 50% of himself.

I don't think you are too far off but as far as best case scenario on taxes.......millionaires have more loopholes than you can imagine. Poker players? Even more. He has millions in entry fee losses this year alone. Every time he is staked and doesnt cash he can count that as a total loss. he can subtract airfare, travel, his publicist, golfing rounds discussing strategy, dinners,

He isn't going to pay 40% in the end. usually around 20% for non creative lazy poker players doing their taxes,....and don't forget he can put some of this money in a IRA or any number of tax deferred entities If Noah Swartz established a corporation for this event you can bettter believe Antonio did as well. In this case he could be a foreign or offshore owner investing in this venture and find even more ways to reduce his tax liability.....or defer it until its not hot under the microscopic of an auditor.

Point is you cannot assume anything about his taxes. Or what is the final outcome taxwise. Iran is an odd place. Most people do not realize that he was born in Iran and Esfiandari is not his birth name. He changed it to sound italian. I am friends with his brother Pasha and Pasha did not change his last name. FYI Toots dated Pasha.
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post
    My mom has a few special requests actually, Vwls do you do any freelance work? For fun or at least pretty cheap? Mostly cutesy stuff with her horses and baby foal who is still a baby but a freaking huge one let me tell you.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GAMBLE-BOT View Post
    I am friends with his brother Pasha and Pasha did not change his last name. FYI Toots dated Pasha.
    Damn Gamble you're the seven degrees to Kevin Bacon guy of the poker forum world.

Thread Information