Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adam LaRoche tosses away $13 million because his son can't always be in the clubhouse

Load Metric
    according to the dad and some others, the kid being with LaRoche was something the team agreed to when he signed with the team, and as far as he knew, there was no issue. The team changing the deal without even talking to him about it made the guy walk. This is also a huge issue with others in the clubhouse, seeing the front office go back on a promise to one player rubs a lot of other players the wrong way.

Comments

Henry:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post
    That dad is a schmuck.

Just showing his son that it's ok to quit and pout when you don't get your way. Locker room is no place for a kid anyhow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    according to the dad and some others, the kid being with LaRoche was something the team agreed to when he signed with the team, and as far as he knew, there was no issue. The team changing the deal without even talking to him about it made the guy walk. This is also a huge issue with others in the clubhouse, seeing the front office go back on a promise to one player rubs a lot of other players the wrong way.
    And he told the coaches it was the players. Told the players it was the coaches. And said it was the owners at some point too.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Baseball players are absolutely the dumbest athletes of all the sports.

You're kidding, right?

Comments

Henry:

Gordman: shut it down threebet

Load Metric
    im gonna go with basketball

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/15...t-adam-laroche

Over the last five years, with both the Nationals and the White Sox, I have been given the opportunity to have my son with me in the clubhouse. It is a privilege I have greatly valued. I have never taken it for granted, and I feel an enormous amount of gratitude toward both of those organizations.

Though I clearly indicated to both teams the importance of having my son with me, I also made clear that if there was ever a moment when a teammate, coach or manager was made to feel uncomfortable, then I would immediately address it. I realize that this is their office and their career, and it would not be fair to the team if anybody in the clubhouse was unhappy with the situation. Fortunately, that problem never developed. I'm not going to speak about my son Drake's behavior, his manners, and the quality of person that he is, because everyone knows that I am biased. All of the statements from my teammates, past and present, should say enough. Those comments from all of the people who have interacted with Drake are a testimony to how he carries himself.

Prior to signing with the White Sox, my first question to the club concerned my son's ability to be a part of the team. After some due diligence on the club's part, we reached an agreement. The 2015 season presented no problems as far as Drake was concerned. (My bat and our record are another story!)

With all of this in mind, we move toward the current situation which arose after White Sox VP Ken Williams recently advised me to significantly scale back the time that my son spent in the clubhouse. Later, I was told not to bring him to the ballpark at all. Obviously, I expressed my displeasure toward this decision to alter the agreement we had reached before I signed with the White Sox. Upon doing so, I had to make a decision. Do I choose my teammates and my career? Or do I choose my family? The decision was easy, but in no way was it a reflection of how I feel about my teammates, manager, general manager or the club's owner Jerry Reinsdorf.

The White Sox organization is full of people with strong values and solid character. My decision to walk away was simply the result of a fundamental disagreement between myself and Ken Williams.

I understand that many people will not understand my decision. I respect that, and all I ask is for that same level of respect in return. I live by certain values that are rooted in my faith, and I am grateful to my parents for that. I have tried to set a good example on and off the field and live a life that represents these values. As fathers, we have an opportunity to help mold our kids into men and women of character, with morals and values that can't be shaken by the world around them. Of one thing I am certain: we will regret NOT spending enough time with our kids, not the other way around.

At every level of my career, the game of baseball has reinforced the importance of family to me. Being at my father's side when he coached. Playing alongside my brothers as a kid and as an adult in the big leagues.

Likewise, it has been great to have my son by my side to share in this experience as I played.

In each and every instance, baseball has given me some of my life's greatest memories. This was likely to be the last year of my career, and there's no way I was going to spend it without my son.

Baseball has taught me countless life lessons. I've learned how to face challenges, how to overcome failure, how to maintain humility, and most importantly, to trust that the Lord is in control and that I was put here to do more than play the game of baseball. We are called to live life with an unwavering love for God and love for each other. These are lessons I try to teach my kids every day. I truly am blessed to have been granted each of those experiences.

Thank you to all of my previous managers, past teammates and friends across the league for making these past 12 years such a wonderful journey, and for providing me with memories that I will never forget--especially the ones with my son by my side.

I will leave you with the same advice that I left my teammates. In life, we're all faced with difficult decisions and will have a choice to make. Do we act based on the consequences, or do we act on what we know and believe in our hearts to be right? I choose the latter.

- Adam

Comments

PuppyMonkeyBaby: Everything seems to point to this being a powerplay by Williams.. Ventura the manager and the GM knew nothing about the demand made by the VP Williams and were shocked and not happy. Team threatned to actually forfeit Wednesday

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/15...t-adam-laroche

Over the last five years, with both the Nationals and the White Sox, I have been given the opportunity to have my son with me in the clubhouse. It is a privilege I have greatly valued. I have never taken it for granted, and I feel an enormous amount of gratitude toward both of those organizations.

Though I clearly indicated to both teams the importance of having my son with me, I also made clear that if there was ever a moment when a teammate, coach or manager was made to feel uncomfortable, then I would immediately address it. I realize that this is their office and their career, and it would not be fair to the team if anybody in the clubhouse was unhappy with the situation. Fortunately, that problem never developed. I'm not going to speak about my son Drake's behavior, his manners, and the quality of person that he is, because everyone knows that I am biased. All of the statements from my teammates, past and present, should say enough. Those comments from all of the people who have interacted with Drake are a testimony to how he carries himself.

Prior to signing with the White Sox, my first question to the club concerned my son's ability to be a part of the team. After some due diligence on the club's part, we reached an agreement. The 2015 season presented no problems as far as Drake was concerned. (My bat and our record are another story!)

With all of this in mind, we move toward the current situation which arose after White Sox VP Ken Williams recently advised me to significantly scale back the time that my son spent in the clubhouse. Later, I was told not to bring him to the ballpark at all. Obviously, I expressed my displeasure toward this decision to alter the agreement we had reached before I signed with the White Sox. Upon doing so, I had to make a decision. Do I choose my teammates and my career? Or do I choose my family? The decision was easy, but in no way was it a reflection of how I feel about my teammates, manager, general manager or the club's owner Jerry Reinsdorf.

The White Sox organization is full of people with strong values and solid character. My decision to walk away was simply the result of a fundamental disagreement between myself and Ken Williams.

I understand that many people will not understand my decision. I respect that, and all I ask is for that same level of respect in return. I live by certain values that are rooted in my faith, and I am grateful to my parents for that. I have tried to set a good example on and off the field and live a life that represents these values. As fathers, we have an opportunity to help mold our kids into men and women of character, with morals and values that can't be shaken by the world around them. Of one thing I am certain: we will regret NOT spending enough time with our kids, not the other way around.

At every level of my career, the game of baseball has reinforced the importance of family to me. Being at my father's side when he coached. Playing alongside my brothers as a kid and as an adult in the big leagues.

Likewise, it has been great to have my son by my side to share in this experience as I played.

In each and every instance, baseball has given me some of my life's greatest memories. This was likely to be the last year of my career, and there's no way I was going to spend it without my son.

Baseball has taught me countless life lessons. I've learned how to face challenges, how to overcome failure, how to maintain humility, and most importantly, to trust that the Lord is in control and that I was put here to do more than play the game of baseball. We are called to live life with an unwavering love for God and love for each other. These are lessons I try to teach my kids every day. I truly am blessed to have been granted each of those experiences.

Thank you to all of my previous managers, past teammates and friends across the league for making these past 12 years such a wonderful journey, and for providing me with memories that I will never forget--especially the ones with my son by my side.

I will leave you with the same advice that I left my teammates. In life, we're all faced with difficult decisions and will have a choice to make. Do we act based on the consequences, or do we act on what we know and believe in our hearts to be right? I choose the latter.

- Adam
    Cant really blame the guy.. Story was originally he was asked to cut back and then he walked because of that.. Truth just finally came out that the VP told him his son couldn't come around at all which was a violation of the actual agreement he had in place.. I'm wondering if he had this written anywhere if so he could make the case the White Sox breeched the contract and he could try and fight for his release and thus find another team to pick him up.. I'm sure somebody would still be interested in him in some capacity.. Hell if nothing else he'd potentially be an asset as a coach or instructor for a team.

Ironic last year was such a feel good story with the White Sox adopting that dog who wandered into their Spring Training Stadium in AZ now 180 degree turn around with this shit storm. bad karma indeed.. (Just checked I was wrong. It was the Brewers who adopted the dog)
    Last edited by PuppyMonkeyBaby; 03-19-2016 at 01:07 AM.

Load Metric
    If someone isnt bright enough to be an adult and pick up on the social cues that indicate you shouldnt bring your kid into a locker room full of other adults, who are prone to use profanity, while they are trying to bond with other, aggressive, competitive, athletic men, than you just shouldnt be on the team.

Keep kids and wives out of the locker room. Its the guy's office, where he works. I cant bring my kid to the office every fucking day. If he wants to come to the company picnic, great.

This seems fucking stupid, and I think he is an idiot for bringing it up in the first place, and Williams is an idiot for approving this initially, if that was his decision.

While teammates are going to publicly "back him", secretly, Im guessing they are thinking, thank god. Keep your kids out of the damn locker room.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post
    If someone isnt bright enough to be an adult and pick up on the social cues that indicate you shouldnt bring your kid into a locker room full of other adults, who are prone to use profanity, while they are trying to bond with other, aggressive, competitive, athletic men, than you just shouldnt be on the team.

Keep kids and wives out of the locker room. Its the guy's office, where he works. I cant bring my kid to the office every fucking day. If he wants to come to the company picnic, great.

This seems fucking stupid, and I think he is an idiot for bringing it up in the first place, and Williams is an idiot for approving this initially, if that was his decision.

While teammates are going to publicly "back him", secretly, Im guessing they are thinking, thank god. Keep your kids out of the damn locker room.
    This.

The vp probably didn't realize the dad would bring the kid every freaking day.

Load Metric
    http://deadspin.com/it-looks-like-a-...ium=socialflow

"And while the early evidence frames this as a Williams vs. LaRoche battle over clubhouse time for LaRoche’s son, multiple baseball officials with direct knowledge of the Adam LaRoche brouhaha told USA TODAY Sports a different tale.

Several players and staff members privately complained to White Sox management recently about the constant presence of LaRoche’s 14-year-old son, Drake, in the clubhouse. Drake LaRoche, multiple people say, was with the team about 120 games during the 2015 season."

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Bottom line comes down to what was agreed with LaRoche.

If it was agreed his son could be a constant presence, then the White Sox should honor it, provided his son wasn't causing any actual problems (other player feeling uncomfortable doesn't qualify as a problem in that sense).

If it was just loosely agreed that his son could hang out sometimes, and LaRoche took it to an extreme, that's a different story, and then I would be more on Williams' side.

Load Metric
    fkin bible thumper imposing his will on others. What's new?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by big dick View Post
    fkin bible thumper imposing his will on others. What's new?
    Was listening to a baseball reporter that covered the locker room. Reporter said LaRoche was "simple" read dumb as a stump.

Always my first bias with the bible thumping crowd.

Apparently Adam (father) and his brothers were home schooled too and followed their father, a former pitcher and later minor league coach, around too.

He's just following the script as he sees it.

So Adam and his brother end up in the majors. You don't think this was all part of LaRoche's simple minded motivation to have his son succeed in the same manner he did? LaRoche just can't come out and say he wants his kid to make it to the MLB. No, he says all this stuff about love and togetherness.

Load Metric
    hmm maybe so, Maybe he is a sneaky bible thumper with ulterior motives.

Load Metric
    Guaranteed the kid was a spoiled, self righteous arrogant dickhead. Too bad he didn't get the Sandusky treatment that little faggot prick looker. Maybe choking on a fat dick for an hour or twenty will get this little faggot to stop infactuating about grown man's cocks the fag.

Name:  searles.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  119.5 KB

Comments

big dick: Sandusky treatment rep

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    New theory is a player or 2 maybe complained and Williams shouldered the hate in order to not segregate the clubhouse

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    New theory is a player or 2 maybe complained and Williams shouldered the hate in order to not segregate the clubhouse
    Really? This is what interests you?

You just gonna accept the bible thumping, love my kid story?

Adam LaRoche tosses away $13 million because his son can't always be in the clubhouse

Do you really think the first line of this thread is as simple as it appears in terms of the fathers motivation?

We all "love" our 14 year old sons. Whatever the fuck that means. Relationships are always complicated and never this shallow. This is no different.

You think LaRoche really thinks Sylvan Learning is gonna prepare him for his future? Well, actually that is more than enough if your hope is this kid is gonna play pro ball. I'm telling you the son of a LaRoche doesn't have the brains to play for Vanderbilt.

LaRoche feels his kid has a the same birth right he and his brother had. Denying his son's future was important enough to walk.

The old, "I would give my life happily to save my son" kinda stuff.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 03-19-2016 at 08:14 PM.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Everybody assumes that just because he asked for his kid to be in locker room that he required a PG environment in the locker room for his son. That is no guarantee, bible thumper or not. LaRoche is obviously trying to pursue the life he led with his father for his son. That probably would not have been a PG life for his childhood. I grew up in a family business and remember going into my fathers business with smoking at desks, topless calendars on office walls, playboys in the bathroom and a bottle of whiskey was the Christmas gift to customers. He would have grown up in that same era and I'm sure he experienced much of the same in his time as a child. Sports weren't nearly as PR concerned back then as they are today and media wasn't so up in their shit either.
    Last edited by FR1GHT; 03-19-2016 at 08:28 PM.

Load Metric
    kid should be in school

/thread

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post
    kid should be in school

/thread
    kid was gonna be in school in Kansas. what was he really gonna learn anyway?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FR1GHT View Post
    Everybody assumes that just because he asked for his kid to be in locker room that he required a PG environment in the locker room for his son. That is no guarantee, bible thumper or not. LaRoche is obviously trying to pursue the life he led with his father for his son. That probably would not have been a PG life for his childhood. I grew up in a family business and remember going into my fathers business with smoking at desks, topless calendars on office walls, playboys in the bathroom and a bottle of whiskey was the Christmas gift to customers. He would have grown up in that same era and I'm sure he experienced much of the same in his time as a child. Sports weren't nearly as PR concerned back then as they are today and media wasn't so up in their shit either.
    Now someone is playing this game right. You gotta think about this in a less innocent way.

I did fall instructional league after college. It's about as low in the minor league's as is possible. I quickly realized I was just the body they needed to play in games against the real talent. I quit when it ended.

I have blocked out a lot of locker room stuff. I remember the Latin kids. We weren't all friends on the same team. They wanted your job. We weren't exactly cheering each other on. Everyone envied the guy who did well and hoped he'd die. So you tried to mess with each other's head. Good times.

Some of these Latin guys would come out of the shower with their dick swingin and if they sensed any weakness like you were offended - well they were gonna mess with your head and put on a show. It was kinda funny & bizarre.

I read this Deadspin piece years ago. I was like bingo.

http://deadspin.com/5370302/pedro-gu...ats-the-spread

My own contribution to this genre, a little entry about Pedro Guerrero, is slight in comparison. Probably everyone who ever covered baseball, which features the most immodest mind-set in all of sports, has a similar anecdote. Dicks are always out, flaunted, bandied, waved and wiggled in a clubhouse. It's the most exaggerated exhibitionism this side of the Internet. And everybody was used to Pedro, in particular, flaunting, bandying or wiggling his. He was a good hitter in those days, but also wildly inappropriate, even by the standards of baseball. If you were in your interview crouch, transcribing some Dodger's quotes, you knew to jump if you felt something brushing your neck.

Even so, it was something of a shock that night when Pedro, naked as always, slathered his member across the banquet of post-game cold-cuts. It must have finally occurred to him that he simply could. I want to say he did it with relish, but that goes without saying. In any case, the clubhouse was seized with a kind of trauma, the players' eyes wide, their mouths agape at the singular destruction of dinner. We'd all seen Pedro wield his instrument in any variety of ways but never in the vandalism of free food.

Thread Information