Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "Molly's Game" movie about poker superhost Molly Bloom being cast, to be produced by Amy Pascal

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    If the reviews are good, then the movie is probably good.

However, poker fans may still be disappointed in how the movie isn't about poker, and probably not all much about the underground games she ran or the people in them.
    All I care about is how much of Chastain's sweet sweet bod is on display in it. She reminds so much of this rather psycho-bitch redhead I dated awhile back. The sex with her was epic. Too bad she was so unpleasant to be with otherwise.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    All I care about is how much of Chastain's sweet sweet bod is on display in it. She reminds so much of this rather psycho-bitch redhead I dated awhile back. The sex with her was epic. Too bad she was so unpleasant to be with otherwise.
    Sure kid, sure.

Name:  bilbo's.jpg
Views: 1263
Size:  52.7 KB

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Sure kid, sure.

Name:  bilbo's.jpg
Views: 1263
Size:  52.7 KB

Drk Star, is this true?

Load Metric
    Aaron Sorkin’s family took him to see Broadway plays from a very early age. Sorkin tells the story that he was often too young to understand but fell in love with the sound of the dialogue.

Sorkin has always written in a machine gun style that I have always loved. I have never found any romance or fascination with politics but I was a huge West Wing fan. The dialogue in The Social Network was god.

Mr Zuckerberg. Do I have your full attention? .... you have the minimum.

For my money, the deposition was one of the greatest scenes ever.

Much has been written about how the movie steers clear of celebrity names. No doubt, Sorkin’s twin fears of litigation and never working with another “A” list actor. The book is a great deal different than the movie. They compliment one another.

Sorkin’s script and the words he chooses are entertaining. However, I watched scenes between Molly and her lawyer and didn’t believe for a moment anything like those exchanges occurred. Great theater and classic Sorkin but incredulity is tested.

Sorkin loves the sound of his own voice.

I walked out of the theater and scanned the audience wondering who chose this movie and why. It’s not a poker movie. Maybe 2 or 3 hands are dealt beginning to end. Maybe. This was a wise choice as poker is death on tv and in the theater.

I remember talk of the big underground games in LA. It bordered on myth. The even bigger NY games had to be just an exercise in romance. For me, learning the truth and the characters involved scratches a nostalgic itch and reminds me of a time when poker was new, mysterious and cool. Stumbling upon a character like Molly Bloom was an incredible bonus. Too good to be true?

So I enjoyed the movie. I have invested more than most and each telling of the story informs and entertains me.

How it is received today by the public will prove interesting.

I need to reach out to our number one movie critic, The Shrink, for the definitive review.

I knocked Jessica Chastain’s looks earlier in this thread. I was wrong. Very wrong.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Giving the lovely Ms. Chastain her due rep

Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe: i wish the real zuckerberg was this cool

Load Metric

How Molly Bloom went from 'poker princess' to the 'movie heroine' of 'Molly's Game
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...102-story.html

This movie needs to answer one thing.

Who the fuck is Molly Bloom?

Nobody in the poker world know who she is.

She claims that she made $4 million in one year in paid tips in cash? Really?

She starts charging a rake in the poker games then the feds move in to bust her?

Wasn't Dan Bilzerian in these poker games with Tobey McGuire and other celebrities?

Too bad he isn't in the movie, I'm certain he would've showed up if asked.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post

How Molly Bloom went from 'poker princess' to the 'movie heroine' of 'Molly's Game

She starts charging a rake in the poker games then the feds move in to bust her?

Wasn't Dan Bilzerian in these poker games with Tobey McGuire and other celebrities?

Having seen the movie. Its quite apparent who Tobey McGwire is in the movie and its also quite apparent to me what little credibility that POS had is gone.. She flat exposed him for being a Grade A cocksucker that he was/is.. It would seem his antics at these poker games likely has contributed to his lack of work in Hollywood as well.. If in fact the accusation that he was actively backing another player at the table it smacks of collusion clearly.. My conclusion.. FUCK Tobey I hope the POS never gets an acting gig again.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I think Molly's Game is a very good movie. I have seen it twice. The poker details are not perfect, but the overall film is a smart drama. Also, I think the character of Donnie Silverstein, who is briefly in the film, is based on Jamie Gold.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post

Having seen the movie. Its quite apparent who Tobey McGwire is in the movie and its also quite apparent to me what little credibility that POS had is gone.. She flat exposed him for being a Grade A cocksucker that he was/is.. It would seem his antics at these poker games likely has contributed to his lack of work in Hollywood as well.. If in fact the accusation that he was actively backing another player at the table it smacks of collusion clearly.. My conclusion.. FUCK Tobey I hope the POS never gets an acting gig again.
    How do you know it was him, because he was reknowned for being the biggest winner?
    BALLIN'!!

Silver
    Load Metric
    Great movie.

Obvious Player X is Tobey Maguire.

Who was the shithead producer she worked for, Dean?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Avon Barksdale View Post
    Great movie.

if youre talking about "reardon green" then his real name is darin feinstein. the best part of this book is tobey mac charging an LOL$200 rental fee for using his shufflemaster. what a cunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by varys View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Avon Barksdale View Post
    Great movie.

if youre talking about "reardon green" then his real name is darin feinstein. the best part of this book is tobey mac charging an LOL$200 rental fee for using his shufflemaster. what a cunt.

He was Dean Keith in the movie, but you are correct, that's Derin Feinstein.

Load Metric
    I watched the movie yesterday, good show 7/10

SanImar/Shrink, is it still worth getting the book after watching the movie?

Are all real names used in the book or just the 4 from the deposition, as stated in the movie?

At first I thought she was portrayed in the movie as being too much of a saint to be true, but listening to the radio show mumbles posted it seems to be a pretty accurate portrayal. Thoughts?
    BALLIN'!!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbucks Spunk Bucket View Post

Are all real names used in the book or just the 4 from the deposition, as stated in the movie?

At first I thought she was portrayed in the movie as being too much of a saint to be true, but listening to the radio show mumbles posted it seems to be a pretty accurate portrayal. Thoughts?
    I would suggest reading the book too.

There were significantly more names. Each name referenced is a gift. Dodger’s McCourt and others were a delight

I found the movie to be quite different. I love Sorkin’s style too. I found it to be a much different telling of the story with less detail - which is always true of movies.

Look, it’s the last sigificant story from the poker boom. Have some fun with it. Don’t toss this hand into the muck.

Comments

Starbucks Spunk Bucket: Perspective. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    For those who haven't seen this yet (not a spoiler in the spoiler tab):

Comments

WillieMcFML: gracias

Load Metric
    I get the sense Mollys Game ain’t exactly killing it in the box office.

I’ve seen some numbers but don’t know how to put them in perspective.

Can someone talk about how it has done comparatively?

Not a huge movie guy and don’t ever look at this kind of thing

Load Metric
    The movie is doing okay at the box office.

Molly's Game had a budget of $30 million.

It has done $36.1 million so far at the worldwide box office.

Movies like these that are released in December/January rely on the award shows like the Golden Globes and the Academy Awards to give them added publicity.

GOOFS

Continuity
    When Charlie is writing on his whiteboard in his office, the three P's that prominently at the top of the board change shape between shots.

Factual errors
    The house or in this case Molly, just can't decide to take a rake (cut of the pot) in the middle of a poker hand, especially in a game of this size. The players would revolt. Really a rake must be established with some time notice. (Usually a rake is in force before any play begins.)

Factual errors
    In one of the games, the initial bet is $300,000 and the second bettor raises the bet by $200,000. In any poker game that is is not allowed. A re-raise of a bet must be at least by the minimum of the original bet. In other words, the re-raise would have have to be for at least an additional $300,000.

Continuity
    During Molly's second visit to Charlie's office, her top switches between being symmetrically positioned on her body to being off the shoulder between shots.

Crew or equipment visible
    In the final court room scene, the camera marks for Molly and Charlie are visible under the table.

Factual errors
    When Molly is skiing she is shown using bindings with 120 printed on them. She later claims to use a DIN setting of 15 while a 120 binding would only go up to 12.

Continuity
    Molly's bloody nose disappears during the attack in her apartment.

Character error
    When Player X suggests raising the buy-in from $100K to $500K, Molly remarks that that would be a 500% increase. While that is 500% as much money, it's only a 400% increase.

Comments

splitthis: Very few people care about poker movies

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbucks Spunk Bucket View Post

There were significantly more names. Each name referenced is a gift. Dodger’s McCourt and others were a delight

I found the movie to be quite different. I love Sorkin’s style too. I found it to be a much different telling of the story with less detail - which is always true of movies.

Look, it’s the last sigificant story from the poker boom. Have some fun with it. Don’t toss this hand into the muck.
    I finally got around to seeing the movie and I thought it was fantastic.

In fact, it's a rare instance for me in which I enjoyed the movie more than the book. It's vintage Sorkin. Sharp dialogue. The narrative device of the lawyer consultation framing the retelling of Molly's story is effective.

I saw most of the Oscar bait movies of 2017 and I would rank Molly's Game just after Get Out for my favourites of the year.

I second Sanlmar's suggestion to check out the book because it's quite different. One thing that you'll notice is that the book concentrates a lot on Molly's romances whereas there is nothing about her boyfriends in the movie. This was probably wise because it would be difficult to explain Molly's horrible judgment when it comes to men. In the book she talks about the guys she dated including Eugene Trincher, the brother of Illya Trincher who ended up in prison for his involvement in an illegal gambling operation that was connected to Bloom's poker game. Eugene is on the right in this pic.

Name:  eugene.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  165.4 KB

Here's a story about the Trinchers. https://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/18/n...-gambling.html

Michael Cera does a good job as Player X (the Toby Maguire proxy). The other unique aspect of the movie that I enjoyed was the Kevin Costner character (Molly's father in the film). He's a clinical psychologist so I was interested in how he would be portrayed. During a dinner scene he alludes to psychodynamic theory and Molly chides Freud to be combative. It's a great scene. The reconciliation scene at the end (spoiler alert) when her father gives her "three years of therapy in three minutes" is obviously pure fiction but great drama.

Overall, I give Molly's Game (the movie) 8.5/10 and Molly's Game (the book) 6.5/10.

Comments

Sanlmar: There are many ways to play with AA. Both book and movie are great. Read the article.

Sheesfaced:

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shrink View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

In fact, it's a rare instance for me in which I enjoyed the movie more than the book. It's vintage Sorkin. Sharp dialogue. The narrative device of the lawyer consultation framing the retelling of Molly's story is effective.

I saw most of the Oscar bait movies of 2017 and I would rank Molly's Game just after Get Out for my favourites of the year.

I second Sanlmar's suggestion to check out the book because it's quite different. One thing that you'll notice is that the book concentrates a lot on Molly's romances whereas there is nothing about her boyfriends in the movie. This was probably wise because it would be difficult to explain Molly's horrible judgment when it comes to men. In the book she talks about the guys she dated including Eugene Trincher, the brother of Illya Trincher who ended up in prison for his involvement in an illegal gambling operation that was connected to Bloom's poker game. Eugene is on the right in this pic.

Name:  eugene.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  165.4 KB

Here's a story about the Trinchers. https://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/18/n...-gambling.html

Michael Cera does a good job as Player X (the Toby Maguire proxy). The other unique aspect of the movie that I enjoyed was the Kevin Costner character (Molly's father in the film). He's a clinical psychologist so I was interested in how he would be portrayed. During a dinner scene he alludes to psychodynamic theory and Molly chides Freud to be combative. It's a great scene. The reconciliation scene at the end (spoiler alert) when her father gives her "three years of therapy in three minutes" is obviously pure fiction but great drama.

Overall, I give Molly's Game (the movie) 8.5/10 and Molly's Game (the book) 6.5/10.
    Therei s no way a book with made up names and fictional events is better than a book with real names and a true perspective from one of the participants unless of course you can't read.

I also heard Perkyschmerky from FTP and 2+2 poster was heavily involved in all of this. Is he mentioned in the book?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shrink View Post

Therei s no way a book with made up names and fictional events is better than a book with real names and a true perspective from one of the participants unless of course you can't read.

I also heard Perkyschmerky from FTP and 2+2 poster was heavily involved in all of this. Is he mentioned in the book?
    I definitely preferred the movie with made up names and fictional events to the book with real names and true perspective. Sorkin is just a better storyteller. That said, Bloom's book is still interesting especially the stories about Toby Maguire which make him look like a sociopath. I don't recall Perkyschmerky being mentioned in the book but I read it about 4 years ago.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Watched this last night, was about 45 mins too long

Comments

SysOp: I agree

Thread Information