Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Molly's Game" movie about poker superhost Molly Bloom being cast, to be produced by Amy Pascal

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

"Molly's Game" movie about poker superhost Molly Bloom being cast, to be produced by Amy Pascal

Remember Amy Pascal, the Sony executive whose controversial and blunt internal e-mails were outed for the world to see after the company was hacked by North Korea?

She's now in a different role, as producer.

Pascal and Mark Gordon are producing the movie "Molly's Game", about Molly Bloom, who hosted super-high-stakes private games in NYC before being arrested as part of a gambling ring.

Jessica Chastain has been cast in the role of Molly.

This may actually be the first good poker movie we've seen in a long time. Pascal did and said a lot of stupid things as an executive, but she was known as someone who really had a feel for the movie industry and what made a movie good or bad. Despite all the controversy surrounding her, I can't picture her producing something that's utter crap.

She now has her own production company, but oddly has a 4-year partnership with Sony, the company she resigned from amidst the controversy last year.

Of course, Pascal bought the rights to an awful Gamergate movie (slated to be released in September) from an awful memoir from the awful Zoe Quinn, so maybe she isn't above producing crap.

http://www.thewrap.com/jessica-chast...ame-exclusive/

Comments

bukowski72: But the movie is based on her version of events which we know are full of shit.

Load Metric
    Amy Pascal was the Sony executive who greenlite the $300 million movie Spectre before the script was finished.

Anyone who would've read the script would have known that the villain was weak and that the whole movie didn't make any sense.

The only reason that "Molly's Game" is being made into a movie is because screenwriter Aaron Sorkin is fucking the real Molly.

Amy Pascal also made the black version of the musical Annie which was horrible.

Unless we see Jessica Chastain nude, this will be another shit poker movie.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Amy Pascal didn't make "Black Annie", though, right?

Maybe she was involved in greenlighting it, but she wasn't producing it or directly involved, from what I can see.

I always thought that fail movie was more the fault of Will and Jada Pinckett Smith, who produced it.

Banned
    Load Metric
    She also played a hand in destroying the reputation of Sony Pictures Animation, slashing costs, uprooting families, driving away all the talent in the industry, then wrote stupid e-mails wondering why their cheap movies kept bombing and quality directors/animators wouldn't work with them anymore.

The woman is an incompetent fool. She is the Peter Principle personified. Did we read the same e-mails, Druff?
    Last edited by SrslySirius; 02-18-2016 at 04:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    She also played a hand in destroying the reputation of Sony Pictures Animation and Imageworks, slashing costs, uprooting families, driving away all the talent in the industry, then wrote stupid e-mails wondering why their cheap movies kept bombing and quality directors/animators wouldn't work with them anymore.

The woman is an incompetent fool. She is the Peter Principle personified. Did we read the same e-mails, Druff?
    No question the e-mails were stupid and she wasn't good at the job she held there.

I think I read somewhere from what appeared to be a credible article that she knew movies well and could see through self-indulgent crap.

But maybe I just read it wrong. I thought she was someone who was more just in a position she wasn't suited for.

I will admit that my high hopes for "Molly's Game" fell somewhat when I read that she will be making a movie based upon fake Gamergate victim Zoe Quinn's memoirs.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I'm sure the movie will be a huge success that we are all talking about for the next 20 years.

Comments

varys: /thread

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I will admit that my high hopes for "Molly's Game" fell somewhat when I read that she will be making a movie based upon fake Gamergate victim Zoe Quinn's memoirs.
    I did not know about that. My regard for her has sunk to a new low.

Gold
    Load Metric
    What about her emails was bad? I forget

Wasn't she just talking shit about people in the industry and telling people Adam Sandler is a bad investment?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    And for those of you wondering about Zoe Quinn:

She's a female "game developer" who made some really lame text games.

She had a boyfriend in gaming. She cheated on him and fucked like 5 other gamer dudes while with him.

The boyfriend found out and was understandably furious. To get back at her, he spread the rumor that she fucked the editor of a gaming review site to get good reviews on her game.

Turns out he made that part up, because this guy wasn't even the one reviewing her game.

Anyway, rather than blaming this on just a jilted ex who was pissed that she slutted around while with him, she rode the whole "Gamergate" wave, claiming that the criticism against her was because of rampant sexism in gaming. Basically, she was being attacked for being a woman, not for being a slut who cheated on her boyfriend with 5 other gamers.

In a long, rambling defense of accusations against her, she repeatedly addressed that she didn't fuck for better reviews, but never once denied that she fucked 5 different guys while with her bf.

So once again, yet another high profile victim of "sexism" in gaming turns out to be someone who either caused their own problems or took advantage of the victim spotlight (or in this case, both).

Since then, she's made all kinds of money selling her "story" in various ways, and now Amy Pascal is going to produce a movie about her.

Lord help us.

See Anita Sarkeesian and Brianna Wu for two other fake "victims" of Gamergate who have profited big time from their claims.

Comments

Mintjewlips: sftrue rep

Load Metric
    She also played a hand in destroying the reputation of Sony Pictures Animation, slashing costs, uprooting families, driving away all the talent in the industry, then wrote stupid e-mails wondering why their cheap movies kept bombing and quality directors/animators wouldn't work with them anymore.

I mean, respectfully, welcome to Hollywood.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

And for those of you wondering about Zoe Quinn:

She's a female "game developer" who made some really lame text games.

She had a boyfriend in gaming. She cheated on him and fucked like 5 other gamer dudes while with him.

The boyfriend found out and was understandably furious. To get back at her, he spread the rumor that she fucked the editor of a gaming review site to get good reviews on her game.

Turns out he made that part up, because this guy wasn't even the one reviewing her game.

Anyway, rather than blaming this on just a jilted ex who was pissed that she slutted around while with him, she rode the whole "Gamergate" wave, claiming that the criticism against her was because of rampant sexism in gaming. Basically, she was being attacked for being a woman, not for being a slut who cheated on her boyfriend with 5 other gamers.

In a long, rambling defense of accusations against her, she repeatedly addressed that she didn't fuck for better reviews, but never once denied that she fucked 5 different guys while with her bf.

So once again, yet another high profile victim of "sexism" in gaming turns out to be someone who either caused their own problems or took advantage of the victim spotlight (or in this case, both).

Since then, she's made all kinds of money selling her "story" in various ways, and now Amy Pascal is going to produce a movie about her.

Lord help us.

See Anita Sarkeesian and Brianna Wu for two other fake "victims" of Gamergate who have profited big time from their claims.
    Also see this:
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Can someone get me the # for casting, I want to play 'glory hole penis #2'.

Comments

thesparten: +1

Banned
    Load Metric
    Pretty sure Blitz wins an Oscar for playing himself here.
    Last edited by IAmProfessionalTalk; 02-19-2016 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Jessica Chastain is Goddess

Load Metric
    Here's the trailer for "Molly's Game" the movie:

Why do they always use generic poker chips in these movies? I have to imagine that even in these underground games they have chips with actual denominations on them. Maybe they don't.

In the trailer, the narration specifically says that all of the names have been changed except for Molly's. So we won't have anyone playing the role of Toby McGuire but it appears that Michael Cera might be playing a version of him.

I liked the book and this should be decent with Aaron Sorkin writing and directing.

By the way, in the book she talked a lot about dating Drew McCourt whose father used to own the Dodgers. Wonder if that will make it into the movie with names changed.

Comments

sonatine: generic chips tilt the fucking shit out of me. they even did it in The Wire.

Dan Druff: 100% agree about the generic chips. Ugh

Suicide King: Generic chips rep

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post
    Amy Pascal was the Sony executive who greenlite the $300 million movie Spectre before the script was finished.

Anyone who would've read the script would have known that the villain was weak and that the whole movie didn't make any sense.

The only reason that "Molly's Game" is being made into a movie is because screenwriter Aaron Sorkin is fucking the real Molly.

Amy Pascal also made the black version of the musical Annie which was horrible.

Unless we see Jessica Chastain nude, this will be another shit poker movie.

She greenlit a Bond movie? Shocking.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shrink View Post

I liked the book and this should be decent with Aaron Sorkin writing and directing.
    I snap bought the book solely on Shrink's approval. Enjoying it a great deal.

Let's get something out of the way up front. Nothing will kill this movie like a bunch of stupid poker hands on film. It's always death. Only Rounders could carry that off but it was made when poker was still fresh and new. The hands were necessary.

I have faith in Sorkin too, Shrink. He did not give much screen time to actual baseball games or plays in Moneyball.

The whole Amy Pascal discussion is titillating and interesting but a producers role is not where this thing risks going wrong. That's mostly business not creative. Sorkin works for me.

The poker treatment is no win. Dwell on it and it sucks. Dismiss it and the poker crowd is disappointed. The audience that brings the big numbers don't care about poker or don't care so much anymore. This may end up a chick flick with a feminine heroine. A great story for the rest of us.

I am only on page 83. Frankly, this reads more like The Devil Wears Prada (the book) than a poker story. Poker is incidental to the transformation of the girl amidst the high flying characters.

Again, Devil Wears Prada. Some frumpy journalism major enters the fashion industry and loses her soul amidst high society & power - at least for a while. Same deal here. Small town Colorado skier and over achiever goes Hollywood.

Molly has a crazy ass boss as well who is central to the story.

I am curious about the importance of the specific people in the story. Tobey McGuire & Drew McCourt to name two. I am not that far along to comment. Sorkin has to live in Hollywood and he could burn some serious bridges. This is tricky.

I doubt the movie will match the book. Percentages are on my side here. The real life characters are fucking gold. How can you sanitize the characters without losing something big?

Anyway, thanks Shrink. I owe you. Your taste is always impeccable. l'm gonna be sad when I'm done with this read.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 08-19-2017 at 10:54 PM.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Every movie ever made about gambling pretty much sucks.

I'm sure this time it's different.

Comments

Sanlmar: Lol, right?

Dan Druff: this man gets it

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Every movie ever made about gambling pretty much sucks.

I'm sure this time it's different.
    I was just kinda riffing about my early impressions. Writing has clarified my bet. (Again I've only just begun)

I am betting this is not a poker or gambling movie at its core. Sorkin uses the game as the backdrop to a story about a girl seduced by celebrity, power and money.

The gambling is a great setting - don't get me wrong. You want the details and the crime read the book

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    While trailers are often misleading, I don't have a lot of optimism about this one.

I didn't read the book, so maybe people can help me out here. Did the trailer seem to follow along with the book?

I ask this because the trailer seems to paint Molly as a persecuted and highly moral woman who had to start these underground poker games in order to strike out on her own after being mistreated by various people (mostly men) who underestimated her.

Then the bust came down, and she ended up with the scrappy lawyer who was willing to take on forces much more powerful than him -- a plot point lifted directly from Erin Brockovich.

So is this really a look into the interesting nosebleed private poker game scene, and the woman who rose to be the queen of it, or is it another "mistreated girl forges her own path, then fights the powers against her" type film? Seems more like the latter, in which case it will suck.

Comments

LarryLaffer: Ok Sexist Gense Siskel. what's next?

Load Metric
    Interesting radio show interview of the real Molly Bloom during the media blitz for her book from a few years ago.

Perhaps Drexel can reach out through his connections to ask her to agree to do a call-in to the PFA radio show...

Oh, wait. I forgot the scathing indictment that Druff posted above about the movie based on its trailer. That might put a damper on that possibility.

Comments

Starbucks Spunk Bucket:
    Last edited by MumblesBadly; 08-20-2017 at 03:30 AM.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Thread Information