Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: BILLIONS on Showtime

Load Metric
    So let me get this right his/her read was about as basic poker as you could have, oh you had a draw because you don't have a king and didn't have a Queen or youd be afraid I had a King, baam call!

So poker prodigy would be primo easy to take down with a simple bluff.

That BS aside I liked the episode.

Load Metric
    mark cuban has the worst plastic surgery on cable tv.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    arliss + entourage / finance = billions.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    i love how according to this show, all the people who got the shit kicked out of them in high school by 'jocks' are in fact magical hyperlogical rainmen unicorns.

Load Metric
    the deposition scene was god tho.

Load Metric
    hey so quick reminder we are 4 hours into the new season and still have no idea why a photographer photographed chuck going into a s&m club or what the consequences of it were.

this show's opening sequence was dude getting pissed on by his wife if i recall.

remember that?

also i still have zero point zero reasons not to root for chuck at this point. i think they wrote out the sex stuff because it made it impossible not to root for him when this is supposed to be some showdown between immovable yet flawed egos.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    hey so quick reminder we are 4 hours into the new season and still have no idea why a photographer photographed chuck going into a s&m club or what the consequences of it were.

this show's opening sequence was dude getting pissed on by his wife if i recall.

remember that?

also i still have zero point zero reasons not to root for chuck at this point. i think they wrote out the sex stuff because it made it impossible not to root for him when this is supposed to be some showdown between immovable yet flawed egos.

I feel like the S&M shit was just pilot-episode-fodder. Also, these shows are all about trying to give people a behind-the-scenes look at how these extremely boring people are actually incredibly complex and interesting.

The real Bobby Axelrod would be spending all day on conference calls with attorneys and other VC groups, while continually checking in on the markets.

It would make for an extremely boring show if they depicted the actual sex life of a US attorney.

Comments

sonatine: there is iron in these words

Load Metric
    this was maybe the first episode of the entire series that i thought was more or less great.

Load Metric
    id like them to reveal that axel's wife is blackmailing chuck next week instead of making us wait for it like its some m night smahalahlaha plot twist.

Load Metric
    this show has gotten better this season.

but its still garbage.

i like it more than homeland tho.

Comments

Charham: i'm with you on this

Load Metric
    this show needs to stop trying so fucking hard to be a maxim magazine top 10 list. at its best, its like michael crichton writing about economic warfare. but the other 92% of the time, it's just dumb.

and every time they end a scene with axe doing his 'oh.. one more question.. ' schtick on his way out the door, i get less impressed by the 8% that keeps me coming back.

Load Metric
    I paused ep. 9 to do something more interesting like empty dishwasher

Haven't returned and ep. 10 is sitting on DVR.

8% just isn't enough.

I know there is variance as there is a carousel of directors but I'll wait for a recommendation. Season 1 was enough frankly.

Load Metric
    also on a broader level, and im just saying... why shouldnt we root for chuck again exactly?

axel has become an exponentially worse person in more or less perfect proportion to chuck evolving into a moral and upright crusader for justice and good.

yeah chucks a shitty dad for using his kid in a publicity photo. welcome to fucking earth, population: shitty dads.

there is literally one end game here that any working writer could pursue; axel doing an anti-heel turn and dragging chuck from the flames of ruin as a selfless gesture to wendy.

and heres the thing i dont care.

also if someone can fact check me.. wasnt there a deal offered where eric begosian took no jail time, that chuck refused but then agreed to accept? so why is eric begosian in jail?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

there is literally one end game here that any working writer could pursue; axel doing an anti-heel turn and dragging chuck from the flames of ruin as a selfless gesture to wendy.

and heres the thing i dont care.
    This ^^

I can't identify with a single character. Whateverthefuck the literary trick is to get the audience to empathize with the characters has been sanitized from show.

Was thinking I was way more vested in Bubbles, Snoop and all the other crackheads & cops in The Wire.

just don't care ... not even 8%

Load Metric
    Thinking about the viewing choices I've made other than Billions.

Saw a 90 minute biography of JK Rowling on offer. Remembered reading the first book to my kids. Nobody cared. I mean I have never watched a single movie either. I completely don't give a shit about Harry Potter.

Nevertheless, this biography was 100x more compelling than Billions. That indictment stands large.

Joanne Rowling is stone broke and depressed. She's sitting on a train looking out onto the landscape and came up with the idea of a boy wizard who doesn't know he is a wizard and goes to wizard school.

She had no pencil and paper but worked the story. The whole story arc - all 7 volumes - was completed in her head.

She claims when she got back to her flea infested apartment she wrote the final epilogue. She knew.

Genius. In the next 20 years she never fucked it up. The literary rights, the movies, the fame.

Great
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 04-11-2017 at 01:58 PM.

Load Metric
    It is a hot mess now officially, getting silly.

Mind you it was that or two broke girls, toss up.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    I paused ep. 9 to do something more interesting like empty dishwasher

Haven't returned and ep. 10 is sitting on DVR.

8% just isn't enough.

I know there is variance as there is a carousel of directors but I'll wait for a recommendation. Season 1 was enough frankly.
    Completely agree. Started off with promise, got LOL bad imo.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    For those that hate the show, Paul Giamatti is worth the hour.

Comments

Tegnation22: He is a highly trained thespian.

Load Metric
    Here is my imitation of this show:

<character 1> hey youve been doing great and growing a lot. we should celebrate, here's an absolutely terrible, childish, irresponsible idea. cool?

<character 2> fuck yeah, lets roll.

Load Metric
    im at a bit of a loss... on the one hand i was all set to come here today and say last nights episode was an all-series low point, but then i remembered the poker episode so now im just kind of stumped honestly.

i actually do think last night might have been worse tho; on 3 separate occasions i checked to see if the episode was almost over, the first time being 28 minutes into it.

the poker episode was embarrassing and awkward, but what last night lacked in Entourage caliber superficiality, it more than made up for in laughably forced pop culture references and shitty people being shitty.

oh and huuuuuge shout out to the billionaires wife who removed the lockscreen on her iphone.

Thread Information