Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Robot

Load Metric

Load Metric
    I have some serious remedial television issues.

Finally saw Season 1, episodes 1-4 on Amazon Prime.

I wasn't immediately hooked first episode. Seriously couldn't tell if this was going to work for me. By episode 4 I was completely committed.

Dark, paranoid, trippy & techy, as they say. Morally ambivalent. Hits me right where I live.

Yeah, it reminded me a bit of Twin Peaks which I had ironically just referenced in my Punk Trivia thread.

One can detect hints of Billions too. People reference Fight Club elsewhere.

I deliberately suspended all criticism of the tech involved. I hear they took great effort to make that aspect as accurate as possible. I am not watching to get my MCSA. Any technical debate betrays issues with ones penis size.

The lead actor Rami Malek as Elliott is fantastic. A singular and unique performance. No one else could have played this part. Owns it.

Easily coulda binged first season til 4:00am but want to savor this.

If you are happy and well adjusted this might not be for you but I strongly recommend this.

Load Metric
    its one of those shows where its so strong stylistically and so well acted that its almost compulsory that one ignores how derivative it can get and how the plot is rather porous.

also i hope he fucks his sister.

"Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    its one of those shows where its so strong stylistically and so well acted that its almost compulsory that one ignores how derivative it can get and how the plot is rather porous.

also i hope he fucks his sister.
    Ok

Silver
    Load Metric
    bump for season 2.

Load Metric
    shits pretty fucking good so far

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Tines fathers name on grinder is Mr. Hobot

Load Metric
    why cant you just be happy for him

Comments

WillieMcFML: lol

Load Metric
    Just finished the 2nd hour of season 2. That was quite a start to the season. Crisis actors.

Comments

sonatine: crisis actors rep

Load Metric
    show is GOD

continue thread

Load Metric
    sorry nerd thread ended with that mr. hobot is tines father line LIKE IT WAS THAT STRONG

Load Metric
    sorry i would be remiss if i didnt

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post
    show is GOD

continue thread

im having trouble with hottub time machine guy from the office. not a lot of trouble but im just kinda like, having a little trouble.

just a little.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post
    show is GOD

continue thread

im having trouble with hottub time machine guy from the office. not a lot of trouble but im just kinda like, having a little trouble.

just a little.
    I really liked his scenes. Although not sure if I missed it, or they haven't fully explained his bitcoin hustle

Load Metric
    the inference appears to be that hes a darkweb drug dealer whose site is hacked and no matter how hard he sends his boys to beat the shit out of the site admin, he cant fix it.

my complaint is that hes just not a great actor. and he compensates by deadpanning some of his more awkward lines, which has generated spectacular results in the past but usually its because the actor doing it is something of a virtuoso, so you end up with a very subtle delivery with lots of tension.

in his case, i keep waiting for him to turn to the camera after a fast cut and complain about jim.

Load Metric
    Literally walked out of hot tub time machine 2

Load Metric
    the inference appears to be that hes a darkweb drug dealer whose site is hacked and no matter how hard he sends his boys to beat the shit out of the site admin, he cant fix it.

my complaint is that hes just not a great actor. and he compensates by deadpanning some of his more awkward lines, which has generated spectacular results in the past but usually its because the actor doing it is something of a virtuoso, so you end up with a very subtle delivery with lots of tension.

in his case, i keep waiting for him to turn to the camera after a fast cut and complain about jim.
    you were correct sir

Load Metric
    Are we really not going to talk about the ALF cameo in the last episode?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    Are we really not going to talk about the ALF cameo in the last episode?

Last episode night in fact been god. It was fucking great
    We pray for understanding as we all occasionally request back door action by accident, when we tried to call an electrician. It happens, it simply happens.

Load Metric
    Im starting to have some concerns about the writing. nothing major but cracks are showing.

Yarrr here there be industry griping;

For a show based in hacking, they seem totally incapable of doing it well. They spend a whole day teaching Angela arcane linux commands. Why? Why not write a script to automate all those steps? News flash; finding a direct route with a minimum of keystrokes is exactly what hacking is. That whole process should have been broken down into one sentence; "Ok when youre ready, log in and type 'start'" TA DAAA jazz hands. Im not even going to get into the whole 'Elliot's Android 0-day' montage but whatever, I can live with that one.

Anyway the whole "OMG ILL DOX THIS GUY AND FIND OUT HIS PSYCHOLOGICAL WEAKNESSES" shit is a cliche that I never need to see again. It's some video game shit and it needs to die. It's not a realistic dynamic to indulge in real time, ever. And Angela's savant moment with the FBI agent was just fucking terrible.

Also really? Every single fucking person in the FBI goes to lunch at once? That never happens. I mean fucking ever.

The other thing that really ground my gears was Elliot catching the beating of his life for like 5 solid minutes on the sidewalk in front of the house where his mom sleeps. Its a residential neighborhood, literally everyone would call the cops and be filming it with their cell phones as well, and standing right there orchestrating it is a guy involved in everything from drugs to kidnapping/slavery.

Lastly, I'm reasonably sure that Ray knew perfectly well that Elliot wouldnt be able to resist looking at the site contents and in doing so, would put himself in Ray's box, which I get and I think would be an appropriate plot development to be revealed as Elliot's head clears.. "You knew I'd look at the site Ray, you were counting on it" etc etc ok fine. What I do not understand, however, is how Elliot needed to walk in the front fucking door of a website which is 100% guaranteed to be an audited event that would be discovered by Ray. Surely there was enough shit laying around that server, which he had root on, for him to piece it together without explicitly crossing Ray's line? Ok thats a minor point.

What is not a minor point, is why is Elliot still alive? What can Ray possibly use him for that wouldnt put him in jeopardy? Elliot's only useful in front of a keyboard, and the first thing hes going to do is McGuyver a bunch of if-then statements that send a kite to his peoples. So again what is Ray's end game? Ray is basically facing death penalty charges if he gets caught, wouldnt that be motivation enough for him to simply have Elliot killed in his fucking bed? Perhaps they surprise me pleasantly here but I have concerns.

The Alf bit was cute. That whole thing was cute. I'm glad they take chances. I felt it went on a bit too long personally but I do respect the hustle.

Still love the show, overall.

Thread Information