Thread: Forcibly logged out of Facebook recently? That's because your account was probably hacked

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Forcibly logged out of Facebook recently? That's because your account was probably hacked

50 million Facebook accounts were hacked this week, via a flaw in the "View as" feature on there.

This gave hackers full access to any account they wanted. 50 million accounts were targeted this way (obviously through an automated process), and Facebook forcibly logged out another 40 million as a precaution.

If your account was automatically logged out this week, there's a 55.5% chance your account had been hacked.

Facebook refuses to tell anyone if they were among those hacked, but the forcible logout is a clue.

It does not appear that the hackers know anyone's passwords.

However, the hackers DID have access to any sites where people log in through their Facebook account. This is one of many reasons I always advise people, "Gotta keep 'em separated", and never to link social media logins to other sites and services.

It is likely that all of your personal information, friends lists, and private messages were accessible to the hackers. However, as this was an automated process where 50 million accounts were breached, it is unlikely you will be individually targeted in any way, unless data dumps are done in the future.

If you are sure that you never used the "View As" feature in the past year, and your account was forcibly logged out, then you were hacked.

If you HAVE used "View As" in the past year, then it is inconclusive whether you were hacked or not, as Facebook force-logged-out anyone who has used that feature in the past year, whether they were hacked or not.

I find it offensive that Facebook will not inform the 50 million victims that they were hacked, for their own knowledge.

Load Metric
    my understanding is this affected 2.5% of accounts.

which is huge, mind you, but still.. kudos to fb's IR team for catching this at all.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    also zuck said in his conf call that no access to PMs or other sensitive data occurred. this is all stated quite clearly in the numerous articles covering the incident.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    also zuck said in his conf call that no access to PMs or other sensitive data occurred. this is all stated quite clearly in the numerous articles covering the incident.
    I hope that's the case.

The PMs are on a different system, since they separated them into "Messenger", so it's possible the login tokens the hackers used were not accessible to Messenger.

However, I did notice I was force-logged-out of Messenger as well, so I'm not sure if they're being honest about this. Or maybe it's just out of an abundance of caution.

Still no excuse to refuse to inform the 50 million people they were hacked.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    I hope that's the case.

The PMs are on a different system, since they separated them into "Messenger", so it's possible the login tokens the hackers used were not accessible to Messenger.

However, I did notice I was force-logged-out of Messenger as well, so I'm not sure if they're being honest about this. Or maybe it's just out of an abundance of caution.

Still no excuse to refuse to inform the 50 million people they were hacked.

for the record i absolutely agree that those PMs were up for grabs along with any other data normally available to a user, including 'private' pictures so on.

it would be surprising for zuck to say outright that no PMs were pilfered if that wasnt the case however, and the assumption here is that the IR team has found no evidence of those PMs being pilfered so zuck felt confident in repeating that party line.

if that information proves inaccurate, i mean, thats going to be an absolute bloodbath and the tenability of business continuity at facebook suddenly becomes a matter of some debate once the execs start dumping their options, which any sane exec would do considering thats the current trend across the board:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/insider...a-record-pace/

i also agree with your overall sense of outrage but, and this is an opinion with a popular and reputable fan base, the essential truth is that all data has been up for grabs for a long time and is likely in the hands of multiple actors/agencies/threat vectors already, via both intended and unintended channels.

im always floored when someone sends me nudes or confesses some foul shit to me via PM on facebook, its seriously mind blowing to me. and i genuinely think the day is coming where someone dumps a terabyte or three of facebook PMs on the pirate bay and the only people left standing are the divorce lawyers.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Facebook said that there's "no sign" that the hackers accessed private messages, but admitted that the hackers could have done so with the token.

So that's not very reassuring.

I still find it absolutely, positively ridiculous that they are not informing victims. That should be illegal.

The only clue is that you're NOT a victim if you weren't force-logged-out this week, but otherwise if you were, it's ambiguous unless you've never used "View As" since Jully 2017.

I know I've used View As in the past, but not sure if I have in the past 14 months. Would be great to know if my data was actually stolen or not.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

So that's not very reassuring.

Would be great to know if my data was actually stolen or not.
    “stolen” or “sold” A difference without a distinction

Load Metric
    i actually think there is a law that users need to be notified if their accounts are compromised and i feel like zuck said they were orchestrating outreach to impacted users but honestly i was too busy laughing to pay much attention after the first few paragraphs.

Load Metric

Load Metric
    coming soon to the EULA near you "absolved from any and all responsibilities from a security breach"

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Weird that the lawsuit was filed HOURS after Facebook announced the breach.

Those are some fast, fast attorneys.

I wish the fact that Facebook isn't informing victims would be part of the current mainstream media story. That's by far the worst part of this, but it's being glossed over.

Breaches gonna happen if everyone's out to get you (though this one was an embarrassing boneheaded mistake), but it seems almost criminal to avoid telling users they've been affected.

Anyone who denies Facebook is a selfish, evil company at this point is kidding themselves.

It's so funny to watch Zuck twist in the wind, attempting to make it appear he's a good citizen of the world who cares about everyone.

Load Metric
    its funny because i learned to hate him not from his business nonsense but from what his neighbors think of him.

Load Metric
    40m other people impacted, attackers could use the tokens to access accounts at twitter, instagram, etc.

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    atine, if i ship you my FB login deets can you determine my risk level for elite hackers getting at me and bilking me for my fortune?

tehehehe 55
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chaps' 2017-18 NFL $$ Thread

Thread Information